Have I sinned against the spirit of angling?

Wordbender

Nah, you'd have a think and present us with a most interesting post. I just waffle on and hide my failings in the bluster. :D

The only thing that matters at all, is that we both get more than our fair share of pleasure from what we do. I'm an expert at enjoying angling, I am. ;)

Isn't it a wonderful thing when you can agree on the principal matter and agree to disagree on the minor issue of whether the fish 'counts' or not.

I'm still in awe of the man, though. Not only a way with words to put most of us to shame, but a fine angler, too.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it a wonderful thing when you can agree on the principal matter and agree to disagree on the minor issue of whether the fish 'counts' or not.

I'm still in awe of the man, though. Not only a way with words to put most of us to shame, but a fine angler, too.

Blimmin' right it's a wunnerful thing, Alan!

Oh, and whoever this bloke is you're on about, ask him if he's got any tips for a boilie-lobber like me who can never seem to catch what he sets out to.

Cheers, mate. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Blimmin' right it's a wunnerful thing, Alan!

Oh, and whoever this bloke is you're on about, ask him if he's got any tips for a boilie-lobber like me who can never seem to catch what he sets out to.

Cheers, mate. ;)

and therein lies the difference.... I also lob boilies with regularity, but I don't get enough fishing time to be able to regret not catching the target species, and having been fishing only for the last 9 years, haven't the experience behind me to actually be overly concerned about a failure to do so.

It doesn't seem to matter which tactics I employ, I seem to be able to attract 'nuisance' fish with greater facility than the target species - and not usually of a size to warrant singing and dancing about. I just love the whole 'being there' thing. One of the great things about fishing a decent session for me is that, apart from simply sitting and watching what's going on, I been able to enjoy drawing and painting landscapes as well.

If I spent my time solely watching the water, suspect my catch rate would improve, but the enjoyment quotient would suffer.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

One of the great things about fishing a decent session for me is that, apart from simply sitting and watching what's going on, I been able to enjoy drawing and painting landscapes as well.

If I spent my time solely watching the water, suspect my catch rate would improve, but the enjoyment quotient would suffer.

By Jiminy (whoever he was), Alan, you've given me an idea for a shiny new thread!

See you in a minute or two at a location not very far from here. ;)

Hello Mr Wordbender Sir :) Firstly congrats on yet another good session in most peoples minds other than yours.

Firstly the carp, I can agree with you on not wanting photos, I don't photgraph most of my fish although I do admire and respect each and every capture. The 2 carp you caught, made your session worth while and an excellent weight in most peoples books but not what you were after so in my book you can be forgiven.

The tench, again is a personal thing, on the way to Wingham last week I said to Liam, I don't know if I would count a fish as a PB if I caught it in the 'close season. This to me is a personal thing and one I cannot answer until it happens. Back to your tench, I was called out of my bed early one morning, many moons ago, to go and photogragh a crucian carp Ian had caught when carp fishing as it was a british record. (Someone caught one a few ounzes bigger before the BR board sat!)He caught it on carp gear and had no problem with claiming it so again a personal thing.

We all have our own principals on various issues and I have always told my 2 sons that you if you don't stand by them don't have them!

I have just left Farnham AS, a club with carries childhood memories of fishing as far back to when I was about 5/6yrs old, why? because they have put barbel in a pond. I was gutted and it was not an easy decision as I run the junior barbel fish-in etc but in the end I needed to stand by what my heart/head tells me.

We all have our own little ways and fishing along with all sports is down to the judges/

refs decision. Well we our own refs and what we say (to ourselves) goes!!

So again the choice is yours and no you have not done anything wrong in my book and no need for feeling of guilt.

Tight lines and let us see the pics when you have that 50 :D

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I have just left Farnham AS, a club with carries childhood memories of fishing as far back to when I was about 5/6yrs old, why? because they have put barbel in a pond. I was gutted and it was not an easy decision as I run the junior barbel fish-in etc but in the end I needed to stand by what my heart/head tells me.

lyn

Lyn, all credit to you. If only more anglers has sufficient strength of character to stand up for their beliefs.

We all have our own little ways and fishing along with all sports is down to the judges/

refs decision. Well we our own refs and what we say (to ourselves) goes!!

And there we have it.

Thanks, Lyn, and fair play to you for sticking to your principles. You're an example to us all. ;)

Thank you both, had I known before that they were thinking of doing it I would have stayed to fight against it but I found out after the event. Someone from the club said I could still fish the rivers (now containing 20lb barbel!!!!) but they missed the point.

It also appears I am subject to 'idle gossip'! I was joining Liam to another little local club, they only have one small park pond but his mates belong to it. Anyway as I was talking to this man another came along to fish the evening match. To cut a long story short, during the conversation he asked if I was the one that had left and that he had heard "I had thrown my dummy out of the pram" over the barbel.

Not sure if I should be pleased that I have made some sort of impact or saddened by the lack of respect of my feelings, whatever, a bit of both maybe!!

Liam & Matthew will both be joining as they don't have an opinion on the subject either way and they are old enough to make their own decisions.

On the plus side, it is forcing me to fish elsewhere and I have wanted to fish the Thames since life before Liam so really getting quite excited. Someone has told me of an area that used to good for barbel so will target that and see how it goes.

Thanks again, and Tel you do what you want and don't give into peer pressure ;)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

That, Lyn, coming from an aged boilie tosser is praise indeed!

At least the description of me includes the word 'boilie'. :P