Okuma Interceptor problem

Pangolin

There have been a couple of threads posted, asking how good these reels are. I have a problem with mine, that I think it's worth sharing because somebody may know of a solution. the problem is that, after casting, I sometimes wind the handle forward, gently, to the point where the bale-arm should flip back over. If I don't hit this point hard enough, the reel gets 'stuck', requiring enormous force on the handle to cause the bale-arm to flip. Last time I used the reel, I ended up using it with the backwind facility on, so that, if I reached this point, I could wind back for a second try. It is clumsy, at best, and could easily lose me fish if I chose to leger with the bale-arm open. Is it just a cheap and nasty reel, or should I persevere?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

quote:

Originally posted by Pangolin:

There have been a couple of threads posted, asking how good these reels are. I have a problem with mine, that I think it's worth sharing because somebody may know of a solution. the problem is that, after casting, I sometimes wind the handle forward, gently, to the point where the bale-arm should flip back over. If I don't hit this point hard enough, the reel gets 'stuck', requiring enormous force on the handle to cause the bale-arm to flip...... Is it just a cheap and nasty reel, or should I persevere?

This is a problem with many fixed-spool reels that have a mechanical, rather than a magnetic, trip for the bail-arm, and the problem isn't confined to Okuma reels .... I've had Shimanos that did the same thing.

I am guessing that your Okuma is still new~ish and so I would say persevere with it ... after putting a drop or two of Molyslip (available from motor spares stores) on the pawl and the trip. The reel comes with an expanded diagram of all the parts and how to take it apart, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Another way to alleviate the problem, but which can be annoying to others, is to keep tripping the bail-arm while indoors e.g. watching a long TV programme. After a few 100 flips, it should get better.

DG

Simple solution is to not wind it gently, give it some welly, or close it manually if it's possible with this reel.

I normally close a bale arm manually anyway, even though my old Mitchells are not designed like that, it's quite easy to just nudge the little lever that locks it open.

John, thanks for stating the obvious! I'd just rather not have to remind myself about the reel problem as I see a bite developing. I've been used to using my ABU 505 and 503 closed face reels, which would never have such a problem, and It's difficult to do things differently. DG'S reply is probably quite sensible, but I feel it's a shame the reel can't be made right by the manufacturer. Which are the reels with magnetic trip? They sound a much better bet! My dislike of the Okuma hasn't been helped, I'll admit, by having loaded it with a line that readily springs off the spool, so that I'm always having to strip line off to eliminate loops that have been created. I can't really blame the reel for that but, again, it's not a problem I've had with the closed-face reels. My other recent reel purchase, the Zebco Topic, doesn't have either problem.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• 3 years later...

i have three of these reel`s , 2 50`s and a 30, ive had them all for some time now, and havnt had your particular problem, one thing that ocasionally happens to me, but only on the 50`s is the baitrunners some times dont lock on, i find myself fiddling with the reel handle and then reseting it, the thirty on the other hand has worked like a dream since ive had it, as far as i can remember.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

John, thanks for stating the obvious! I'd just rather not have to remind myself about the reel problem as I see a bite developing. I've been used to using my ABU 505 and 503 closed face reels, which would never have such a problem, and It's difficult to do things differently. DG'S reply is probably quite sensible, but I feel it's a shame the reel can't be made right by the manufacturer. Which are the reels with magnetic trip? They sound a much better bet! My dislike of the Okuma hasn't been helped, I'll admit, by having loaded it with a line that readily springs off the spool, so that I'm always having to strip line off to eliminate loops that have been created. I can't really blame the reel for that but, again, it's not a problem I've had with the closed-face reels. My other recent reel purchase, the Zebco Topic, doesn't have either problem.

As has been said already the problem is NOT limited to this particular reel. The line problem is I would think because you are using a cheaper line as a reel line? And because the close faced reel is not having problems suggests to me that you are using different line? That and the make up of the reel is different. But I remember having HORRENDOUS problems when the ABU range were the 503 and 505!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

On my Okuma interceptor the bale arm doesn't even trip when you wind the handle so you have to flick the freespool lever off manually.

Rather annoying when you forget though and you get in a tangle

Edited by Neil G

On my Okuma interceptor the bale arm doesn't even trip when you wind the handle so you have to flick the freespool lever off manually.

Yes mine too most times. They do sometimes but so rarely that I hardly bother winding the handle. I just flick the bale arm over manually.

I love using Mitchell reels purely for the 'clunk' factor. :)

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

havnt come across this with either of my 30,50,60 the amount of force used to flick the bail arm i dont like it seems a bit agresive and im sure has caused some damage to my balearm i much more prefer to manualy close it, and as noted above i am also getting problems with the bait runner on my 50 exactly the same as described you need to pull it prety hard to engage it.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk