The Wallis cast and the line guard

tiddlertamer

I'm hoping to use my centrepin more regularly in the forthcoming river season.

One of the things holding me back is my inability to cast any distance.

So I hope to improve my Nottingham and Wallis casting next season.

I'm using a Hardy Conquest centrepin.

I heard from a friend that I need to remove the line guard if I am attempting the Wallis cast? Is this correct?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

A line guard gets in the way if you are Wallis casting mainly due to the combined angles that the line takes between the line coming off the reel off the reel and the rod. Chavender did a modification to the line guard on I think an Okuma Kennet where he removed part of the existing line guard so that there was no interference from the cross bars. Unfortunately I cannot find the relative post but I am sure that if he sees this he will identify the article. Also if you are looking to achieve distance then a line guard is certainly not desireable.

line guards are OK ,and do serve a purpose that of preventing line from flipping over the backplate ,the problem is that most are poorly positioned and can impede casting from the spool .either Wallis casting or side-casting and a badly positioned line guard just simply gets in the way preventing the free flow of line from between the bottom apex of the spool and to in-line with the first eye

if you do a search for line guards (or google it) there should be a really good explanation of my thoughts on the matter ,but here are some notes i saved which should give you the juist

http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/372

In a atempt to over come the above situration on a reel with a fixed line guard , I removed two of the guards suport strutts ....

http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/374/t/Mod...-C.html?page=-1

but the best thing is too learn too do without a line guard ,learn too cast without one ,then there isn't a problem .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve