how long can groundbait be kept?

If the ingredients are all dry and kept in a cool, dry place and away from vermin then I cant see any reason why it would not last months. I buy my brown crumb in bulk and keep it in one of those big storage bins with a sealable lid from a hardware store. I have had it in there since October of last year and its still in great condition.

However, if it gets damp or you have already mixed it with liquid and brought it back home with you for example then it will last a day or two at most! If you've left it in a bucket for longer than a week then just throw the bucket away! Dont be tempted to open it and have a sniff! :yucky:

'If you've left it in a bucket for longer than a week then just throw the bucket away! Dont be tempted to open it and have a sniff!'

I did this the other day, was the most foul smell i have ever smelt, made me gag, and made my nose bleed lol. I swear a rotting corpse wouldnt have smelt as bad as that groundbait.

Ive got some breadcrumbs we brought last year and kept it in the house and its still great.

Whilst sorting out my ruckbag and bait bag this morning I found some ground bait that I'd forgotten about. It's been there for a week during our short-lived heatwave.

It stinks to high heaven and is covered in green fur. The kitchen is now a no-go area until the smell clears!

Should I throw it away or give it a name and keep it as a pet?

Janet

Edited by Janet

If its mixed even a couple of days after you will find that any extras you've put in (hemp, caster etc) will now float which bring the fish up in the water which nulifies the the use of the feeder. If its just a bit get rid. Its not worth ruining a days fishing.

Fling a wee cloth bag of uncooked rice in beside your groundbait mix and keep the lid tight and it'll keep dry for years.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...