My cokin filter kit.

Moody

Hello every one, i havnt been on for a while.

Iv been to busy moving house and work blar blar blar :rolleyes: .

Any way,

I bought myselfe a cokin filter system last week, got the adapter ring the holder and a couple of filters.

Problem is im of the undersanding that the holder is to move freely within the adapter ring if you use an auto focus camara, but mine doesnt i spent ages last night trying to loosen it up with no bloomin joy.

Is it just mine or is this a comon problem.

Its to late to send it back ( ive sanded and sraped loads of plastic off it to try and free it up )

Ooops.

I can't remember off hand - I will have to look at my system - but I think that the filter moves within the holder. Most of the time it won't matter too much if what I think you are saying is right. But it is essential to be able to move the multi-image and polarised "Filters" I will have a look tomorrow. If you care to e-mail me the details of your problem in more detail, I will go through everything on my system though my camera is not auto focus.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Yes, the adapter is supposed to rotate on the adapter, essential for some polarising filters.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

would think you have to use it on manual settings as a lot of filters would upset the auto?

not too certain as i only ever used a proper manual camera.

later guys i`m going fishing

OK, I have had a look and this is what I have. Cokin.JPG

The first piece on the left screws into the filter ring on your camera, and the next piece is a slip on fit on that. It is a tight fit and is meant to be so. The front part of that has grooves into which your Cokin filters fit. Most of the square ones work whatever their attitude to the camera. However, the varied density ones will require movement so that they give you the effect you require. To do that you will have to either move it after the camera has focused or you will have to anticpate its eventual position. A varied density filter is shown. Also shown are a couple of polarising filters and you will notice that they are round. They fit into the same holder but they can be rotated. The serrated edges make that quite easy.

The Cokin system is a lot of fun to use and you can make some interesting pictures with them. But beware - not everyone understands what you are doing. I remember sitting in a pub garden showing a friend some of my Cokin pictures when a guy got up from another table, excused himself and then told me that there are filters available to reduce the problems I was having! :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Cheers Chevin,

I have 2 Hama UV filters peminantly atached, 1 Hama poleriser which i swap with the UV when i want to use it, 3 Kood close up filter that i recived last night, then my cokin filters 1 gradual gray graduated (ND2) and 1 warmer,

The reason why i put this post up was because on the instructions it mentions that using a powerd auto focus camara you should remove the nipple at the base of the holder so that when holding and using gentel presure when focusing the camara the lens can move(rotate) when focusing and the filter stays put in your hand.

OK, I think that they must have changed the holder with the advent of auto-focus cameras. My camera is a Nikon of almost 20 years old. There weren't quite so many auto-focus cameras around in those days!