Looking for a rod

Christy

Hi my name is Sam I'm new to these forums,

Bassically I'm looking for a rod that's suitable for float fishing for chub and small carp, but suitable for feeder fishing at the same time, possibly with multiple tips? (oh and preferably under £40)

I'm a complete newby when it comes to fishing so I'm not sure if this is even possible, also if I'm feeder fishing what else will I need to purchase apart from a reel and terminal tackle?

If you could reccomend any good online/ebay stores that ship to the UK that would also be cool!

Thankyou in advance for your advice! B)

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sounds like you want an Avon/Quiver twin tip jobbie. You're right at the sharp end of the price range there, but have a look at:

Shakespeare Xcede Dual Tip PMF 12ft Feeder Rod

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/O...er_Rods_12.html

Ron Thompson Warlord Avon Quiver 12" Rod

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fishing/genera...COREFRBETHO1510

For my money, I think I would favour the Shakespeare, simply because the claims on the Ron Thompson to be for "hard fighting barbell[sic] and double figure carp" makes it sound like it might be a poker.

Just to add, wait around before you buy to see if anyone has any experience with those rods, I haven't used either.

Edited by Elton

Thanks, The Shakespeare Omni X range of rods look quite good and they offer multiple tips, I wonder if anyone here has experience with them?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Thanks Steve I do like the look of the Shakespeare although unfortunately £42 + the shipping is a little too expensive, although I've been looking at some of Shakespeare's cheaper feeder rods and wondered if they would be suitable?

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/store/coars...shakespeare-jrc

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Not a recognised tackle manufacturer But do a search for MAX Performance on ebay they do a 12FT avon for about £20 + postage. I have a cpl i'd ay they were equivalent to a lot of the rods in the £50-£75 bracket just without the name.

They are based in Daventry and if you cant see one listed just email them and they'll sort one for you.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Not a recognised tackle manufacturer But do a search for MAX Performance on ebay they do a 12FT avon for about £20 + postage. I have a cpl i'd ay they were equivalent to a lot of the rods in the £50-£75 bracket just without the name.

They are based in Daventry and if you cant see one listed just email them and they'll sort one for you.

I did a search on Ebay but I could only find 9ft Pike spinning rods :( does anyone else have a suggestion? Maybe I would be better off just buying two rods?

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

email the supplier of the spinning rod they have loads of rods available but dont always post everything. They'll put it on especially for you or just arrange it via the email.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

After watching a few of Matt Hayes' videos I've decided to just settle for a float rod, I still want it to be able to handle fish as large as a 12lb carp with 4lb line can you reccomend any?

Also I'm stuck on which colour line to choose I want to get some Daiwa Sensor 4lb, should I go for the clear or the brown? (I plan to fish, slow/medium flowing rivers and small lakes.)

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

As you are new to fishing and targeting double figure fish then I would go for a heavier line ie; 6lb. On a lighter line you will need the clutch set spot on or you are just going to either, get snapped off or take forever to play the fish and get it in causing it more stress than needed.

To set the clutch it will be easier to set the rod up and put the hook into something heavy that won't move or tie the line to it, pull against it making the rod bend over, and adjust the clutch/drag until the line just comes off the reel. Have confidence in the rod as it bends in half but obviously don't expect the rod to take all the strain or it will break :o I hope you can understand that and what I am explaining. Reels have a rear drag or front drag/clutch. I prefer a rear drag as it is easier to adjust if needed when playing/landing a fish. (Some drags do stick sometimes)

As for other gear/tackle, 2 things as important as the rod/reel are, an unhooking mat and a landing net, make sure the landing net will be big enough to cater for the fish you hope to catch. I stood watching a match angler the other night, playing a carp about 4/5lb on a pole with roach gear on. He would have landed the fish had he had a big enough landing net but in the end the carp took him into a snag and snapped him off. He had the fish half in the net 3 times but it was just to big to get in enough to lift it out, hence why I say make sure your tools/tackle are up to the job you expect them to do.

The idea is to get the fish on the bank as quick as possible, I always use 10lb line when barbel fishing, that way I know if it takes me into a snag I have a good chance of getting it out, plus I can get them in quicker thus reducing recovery time.

Keep asking questions as all of us on here would rather help/answer them then to have fish swimming round with terminal tackle attached to them risking the chance of them getting hung up somewhere and dying.

If you are over 12 you will a rod licence which you can get from the post office or on line. Check to see if any of your local clubs have an open day which the EA attend giving free tuition. They are very good and will teach you how to tie hooks on, unhooking and fish care in general.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!