Carp Off The Top!

Matt Baldwin

not being funny but how the hell are you getting smashed on 12 or 15lb line?

scale down,i used to use an avon rod 1.75tc a nice decent reel(shimano) 8-10lb main 6-8lb hooklenght,open water and snag free only this set up,i find it nice and balanced.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratty Fitzpatrick46:

not being funny but how the hell are you getting smashed on 12 or 15lb line?

scale down,i used to use an avon rod 1.75tc a nice decent reel(shimano) 8-10lb main 6-8lb hooklenght,open water and snag free only this set up,i find it nice and balanced.

Well done Ratty that is the best balance in the tackle for carping off the surface. Mine just the same.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

cheers dan,commons are lovely,a mate of mine holds my local ressie record(40+),he had it first time over there from a spot "it never goes"-according to the regulars.... lol

andy,its all about balance, in all fishing,to get teh most from a fight and to even get a take everything has to be balanced,to my mind its a skill,being able to match and balance your tackle according to where and what you are fishing for.

saying that in hit and hold situations i dont mess about,again it has to be balanced to land the fish and not mess it up or worse SNAP OFF!

it comes through experiance tho i think you get a feel for it.

i say to those who have been snapped,adjust ya clutches to give line BEFORE it snaps,use the baitrunner(if you have one) if your eyes wander,just in case, i know its happened to me,look round and wallop tip smashes round as a carp hooks its self.finally use decent line,berkley make pukka line my fave on top is trilene xl clear.

not haveing ago,tyring to help

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Ratty Fitzpatrick46:

saying that in hit and hold situations i dont mess about,again it has to be balanced to land the fish and not mess it up or worse SNAP OFF!

it comes through experiance tho i think you get a feel for it.

Exactly. There was a snag-free reservoir I used to fish where it was very common to get double figure carp in on light match tackle, so long as you had enough line; no snags, if it wants to run, let it.

its as good as getting 1 off the top than getting off the buzzer i think.

Giving it a go tomorrow off the top.

At my local you are usually on about 20 carp off the top, usually it exceeds that by a long way, but the lake is less than an acre and is very heavily stocked.

Its nice to see the fish take the bait.

All ways gets my heart racing as i bet it dose with most of you!

Matt

Hia's All

mr. bean:

i usually use a controller unless the fish are in the margins were i can drop it on their nose. i don't bother with swivels and beads when surface fishing, i just use 6-10lb line and two elastic bands to hold the controller in place.

mr bean

hi

where and how do you attach the rubber bands to your controller.

cheers

lee

Matt Baldwin - Medway mullet Club:

I caught my first ever carp on floating crust, on a family holiday to Devon. Fantastic! It's still my favourite way of catching carp.

Matt Baldwin - Medway mullet Club:

Carp always get my heart racing alright. It that sheer moment when you see a carp start playing with it and all of sudden it is on the end of that hook. Pure bliss :):):)

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I usually find that it is the larger fish that feed of the top, dont know if anyone else has noticed this?

Stalking and floater fishing are my favourite ways to fish and seeing the fish feeding near your hookbait always seems to get my heart racing.