yaking on a friday

bilythebass

Stick a pic up then Clive - lets see how you do it

021.jpg

That's it securely stowed ready for paddling out or in when there is a chance of rolling. Once clear of the surf zone I'll have the winder in the footwell under my leg and just use one sail tie to keep the anchor in place whilst paddling. To deploy it I pop the ball out of the sail tie. That lets the anchor drop about 8 feet. I can then take hold of the winder, lift the line out of the cam cleat and let it feed out of the winder. Once enough line is out I just drop the line into the jaws of the cam cleat and put the winder in the footwell. This can be done with one hand.

You can see the zig-zag cleat in the photo. By trapping the trolley line in this cleat it stops the trolley creeping back towards you if you have to haul hard against a stuck anchor. Obviously if this is allowed to happen the kayak could turn broadside to the current which might cause a problem. The zig-zag cleat can be secure one handed and stops the trolley line travelling both ways unlike a cam cleat that only stops one direction. You can get them from H2O Kayaks on eBay or or their online shop.

Regards, Clive

021.jpg

That's it securely stowed ready for paddling out or in when there is a chance of rolling. Once clear of the surf zone I'll have the winder in the footwell under my leg and just use one sail tie to keep the anchor in place whilst paddling. To deploy it I pop the ball out of the sail tie. That lets the anchor drop about 8 feet. I can then take hold of the winder, lift the line out of the cam cleat and let it feed out of the winder. Once enough line is out I just drop the line into the jaws of the cam cleat and put the winder in the footwell. This can be done with one hand.

You can see the zig-zag cleat in the photo. By trapping the trolley line in this cleat it stops the trolley creeping back towards you if you have to haul hard against a stuck anchor. Obviously if this is allowed to happen the kayak could turn broadside to the current which might cause a problem. The zig-zag cleat can be secure one handed and stops the trolley line travelling both ways unlike a cam cleat that only stops one direction. You can get them from H2O Kayaks on eBay or or their online shop.

:mellow: hi again lads , thats a nice wee set up you have there .. and great pics

i like to keep it simple really drilling holes in this kayak doesnt fill me with joy !!

to much clutter thinngs around/under feet.. i see you have a couple of spare [holes ] there ?? this fishing from kayaks

is easy , if you find something that works for you then why change it!... when your anchored off theres not much chance its goin t move back up.

for me its the goin in the water im more prepared for ..and to much around me is kept to a minimum

ps the bungee is just to take the stress of the fastenings and not the anchor cord

cheers my good man :mellow: billy

:mellow: hi again lads , thats a nice wee set up you have there .. and great pics

i like to keep it simple really drilling holes in this kayak doesnt fill me with joy !!

to much clutter thinngs around/under feet.. i see you have a couple of spare [holes ] there ?? this fishing from kayaks

is easy , if you find something that works for you then why change it!... when your anchored off theres not much chance its goin t move back up.

for me its the goin in the water im more prepared for ..and to much around me is kept to a minimum

ps the bungee is just to take the stress of the fastenings and not the anchor cord

cheers my good man :mellow: billy

Billy, the anchor trolley will not move while you are anchored normally providing you have a decent amount of line out. It is when you haul a stuck anchor that it is likely to travel back. The anchor rope goes through a 90 degree angle at the trolley point as the stuck anchor is directly below the boat. Natural forces will try and increase this angle towards a straight line and the trolley will suffer a load towards the direction of pull. If it is not trapped then the trolley will slip back towards the direction of pull and could subsequently cause the kayak to turn sideways on to the current. That can be dangerous in strong currents. :o

The anchor rope will stretch dependent on its construction and the length you have out. Even low stretch lines could have 5% elasticity - that's a foot for every twenty feet of line out. The stretch in the anchor rope will probably be far more than the bungee cord which is likely to be fully extended under load. The bungee will have no effect on the stress of the fastenings in reality. It's an unnecessary gimmick in my opinion.

It's your choice. I'm just making an observation. :)

p.s. No spare holes - every one fully utilised. ;)

Regards, Clive

its obvious you want last word on this.

all i want to do is fish from ma yak... so do yourself a favour .keep away from my posts

cause i know your type... get some fish time in ,

Billy, I don't know what your issue is? Essexbuoy and yourself asked for comments and explanations. If you ask for an explanation then you should expect to get one. As for the advice:- I'm simply making some observations - trying to be helpful based on my own experiences and explained using some pretty basic, (but sound) scientific principles. . Anchoring in a current is probably the most likely cause of a dump if not done correctly. Now, after this I don't really care how you rig your kayak. Obviously you can manage without my advice even though you asked for it, so you can be sure that I won't offer any more. If you want to risk taking an unexpected swim, that's your business.

But also remember that posting on this forum is about offering advice and discussing different methods. It's not about sticking a photo up for people to blindly admire, especially when there is an obvious safety issue involved. It's also not about picking and choosing who can comment on your posts to avoid you any embarrassment.

If you can prove that what I say is wrong then please explain it for the benefit of me and others. Otherwise I'll just assume that you simply can't accept or don't understand well meant advice.

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

:mellow: look clive ,when did I ask for your advice ?? , cos its not in any posts i did

you said my bungee was at wrong end of kayak , then it was explained that i / most people

anchor from the back [essexbuoy ] in which he was right in saying ..cos i do !

then you said bungee was : JUST A GIMMICK: so it doesnt act as a shock absorber, just to take strain off of my fixings

you might have a point there but i dont know anyone who,s done a bungee jump with a rope tied !!..

as far as your advice goes clive ,mabee a wee clam cleat or two, :mellow: now lets put this to bed

billy