Spigot joints

GlennB

Bought an Avon 'system' rod over on Ebay recently which has spigot joints (where the butt section has a thinner protuberance which inserts inside the top section/s)

When I put it together the 2 sections don't meet by about 1", i.e. about 1" of the spigot is left showing even when the sections are pushed together very tight.

Doesn't look at all right. The vendor claims this is normal with spigot joints, but that's hard to believe as the 3.5" joint is effectively reduced to 2.5". Is he talking b*llocks? Can the joint safely be sanded until it fits?

On the other hand the vendor has a terrific feedback record from over 1000 sales ....

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the butt section have a rubber bung/stopper on the end?? Sometimes if its a little too proud or wide, it doesn't slide all the way in. I had this with a spinning rod I bought many years ago. I buffed the rubber round the edges with an emery board and the section slid in to make a neater, more snug fit.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Budgie is right.

Sometimes rubber stops are used on cheaper rods to stop the sections wobbling as the spigots do not fit properly.

Waxing the spigots can be a good idea to ensure a good fit and prevent sticking.

If a joint becomes loose then it can be repaired by cutting a small section off the female joint or using Joint repair spray like the pole anglers use.

DF

Here are two identical Shakespeare carp rods I bought last year. Shakespeare assure me the one with the poor fit is fine.

Posted Image

A big gap is better than no gap, which is what you get when spigot wears. To prevent this happening too quickly - and to make sure the joint doesn't stick - treat the spigot with candle wax from time to time (just rub one of Messrs Prices' household candles along the spig). This also tightens a loose-fitting spigot.

Fenboy

Or;

Sling all your carbon rods in the dustbin and replace them all with wooden rods (sometimes called "cane"). These little warriors have metal spigots and rarely ware down. On the plus side, a year or two after using these wooden heavy weights one will develop biceps so large girls swoon at the sight of those large manly arms. Another plus is you get to kick sand in the faces of all those carbon roded whimps down on the beach!!

Regards,

Lee.