Looking for 4x4 tyre advice

GlennB

Hi all. Hoping for some advice on tyres for a Kia Sportage 4x4

I have no interest at all in real off-road driving. Nearest I get is stony tracks over the hills, but they're really just bad roads not 'off-road'

We live in Greece up a wickedly steep, narrow, winding concrete track. Sometimes slimy with fallen leaves. The road round our village is equally bad. I bought the 4x4 with a view to getting maximum traction in dodgy weather but I'm told the tyres fitted are suited to off-roading rather than maximum grip.

The tyres are Goodyear Wrangler 205/75R15, in very good condition.

While driving in the Athens area where the roads I suppose are permanently smeared with rubber, the car was generating tyre-squeal left right and centre with no provocation at all. Gently pulling away, braking and turning - horrific squeal, like when you're driving round a multi-storey car park. The main roads where we live get little traffic and I don't get the same problem at all.

I'd be very grateful for any advice on the best tyres for our situation. Cost is not a huge deal as we do *very* little mileage, but within reason ;)

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Hi Glen, I used to run Wranglers too on my Challenger, and had exactly the same problem....tyre squeal when pulling away, sometimes into 2nd gear too, bad grip, and they ran down in just over a year....so, when the time came to refit new ones, after some advice from my local tyre centre, ( A mate ) I fitted General Grabber AT2 tyres...not had any problems at all with them...except one, where I ripped the wall out while "playing" in the mud....it was replaced with a Discoverer ATR Tyre, which has almost the same tread....as the Grabbers had a waiting list of a week....:(

They were changed around 12 months ago, and no noise etc from them, and much better grip too..:)

Grip on the road is great, and off road, superb....

Cheers, and good luck...

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi all. Hoping for some advice on tyres for a Kia Sportage 4x4

I have no interest at all in real off-road driving. Nearest I get is stony tracks over the hills, but they're really just bad roads not 'off-road'

We live in Greece up a wickedly steep, narrow, winding concrete track. Sometimes slimy with fallen leaves. The road round our village is equally bad. I bought the 4x4 with a view to getting maximum traction in dodgy weather but I'm told the tyres fitted are suited to off-roading rather than maximum grip.

The tyres are Goodyear Wrangler 205/75R15, in very good condition.

While driving in the Athens area where the roads I suppose are permanently smeared with rubber, the car was generating tyre-squeal left right and centre with no provocation at all. Gently pulling away, braking and turning - horrific squeal, like when you're driving round a multi-storey car park. The main roads where we live get little traffic and I don't get the same problem at all.

I'd be very grateful for any advice on the best tyres for our situation. Cost is not a huge deal as we do *very* little mileage, but within reason ;)

cheers

Without any question the best on/off road tyre (in my opinion) is the B F Goodrich MT (mud terrain). Although they are classed as 20% on road - 80% off road they are brilliant tyres on road. I use them on a 110 Land Rover and achieve 60,000 miles + out of a set. This comprises motorway driving and off roading.

They are quiet and good in the wet, mud, rocks, sand, grass and stunning on the road.

the smallest size that they do is a 215-75-R15 but they should fit your rims ok!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Glenn Goodyear Wrangler APs would be good for you. What model of Goodyear Wranglers do you have. Some are for extreme off road only and will be crap on hard surfaces.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks folks. I'll see if there are any more recommendations, check out prices and then order something from our tyre place.

Cory - the current tyres are Goodyear Wrangler 205/75R15. Just had an email from the original owner who reckons he was just sold the hardest-wearing tyres available at the time (the current ones I mean). He also had grip problems on normal surfaces. The local guy who had the car in between kept quiet about all this :)

cheers

Edited by GlennB

Glenn

Goodyear Wranglers come in lots of different models, some are for extreme off road use only, some are more or less a hard surface only tyres.

eg

Goodyear Wrangler AP

Goodyear Wrangler AT / AT/R

Goodyear Wrangler F1

Goodyear Wrangler HP

Goodyear Wrangler MTR

Goodyear Wrangler MTR

APs, F1s and S4s are best for vehicles that spend most of there time on hard surfaces.

I'd echo Worms comments about the B F Goodrich MT. I had those on my Defender 110 too. Excellent on the road and easily good for 60,000 + miles.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Glenn

Goodyear Wranglers come in lots of different models, some are for extreme off road use only, some are more or less a hard surface only tyres.

Hi again Cory. I was so busy looking for complicated codes that I missed the big fat AT/R printed on the tyre wall. Also spotted "Treadwear 340" and "Traction A" in small letters. Looking around 4x4 tyre reviews and the like, these tyres don't seem very well regarded for everyday road driving, so I'll be changing in the autumn.

Hi again Cory. I was so busy looking for complicated codes that I missed the big fat AT/R printed on the tyre wall. Also spotted "Treadwear 340" and "Traction A" in small letters. Looking around 4x4 tyre reviews and the like, these tyres don't seem very well regarded for everyday road driving, so I'll be changing in the autumn.
No mate, I THINK that they would be illegal on the road in the UK, APs or F1s would be better for you. General make good 4x4 tyres too.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?deta...amp;sowigan=GAN

No mate, I THINK that they would be illegal on the road in the UK, APs or F1s would be better for you. General make good 4x4 tyres too.

Oops. I know what I must do :) Thanks again !