My first Sea Trout!

Well ive been trying for about 2 months to land a sea trout and i even had a post about it, after watching 2 jump higher than my head as im wading out and losing them as they land back in the water, losing countless hours of sleep and resources i had ALMOST given up! ALMOST!

Up until 6 hours ago my tactics were Spin Spin Spin. I was getting fish but not landing them! a few days ago i bought some size 2 trout hooks incase i had a change of heart. Surely enough i decide to go sunbathing at my local beach and "Take my rod" along with 3 sand eels i caught a week ago.

The rig - Simple rig really, 3 way swivel with a 3 Oz bomber from the bottom eye, from the centre eye i simply used treble the distance i had used for the bomber and attached my newly purchased hook and on the hook? The head half of a sand eel.

i sat down and i had some nibbles, a small plaice. i cast back in with the same bait, and i had barely sat down to sunbath, SEA TROUT!

I think it was tired from hunting all morning or so because it barely fought my until i brought it out of the sand flats and over the rocks, Then it started to do what all sea trout do best! JUMP! i had a feeling the hook was gunna hold out so i played it hard to to get it to jump so i could admire it. and that i did :D

The next task was to get it in the net, wow. it was such a shame my Series 1 skeletor was in for repairs and i had to use a 9ft Ron Thompson Hardcore II, i would had the fish straight in on the Berkley but the 9Ft of rod really made it a hard task from the jetty i was standing on, however after 3 runs and 1 jump from the net i landed it! and WHAT A FEELING!! weeks and weeks and weeks of waiting finally over!!!

"Irony" I was supposed to be sunbathing!

If anyone reading this has not yet caught a sea trout id recommend it, not just for their jumping but for the beauty as a fish once its in. and the taste! well lets not go down that road i could be here all day as if i havent already so without further a due, Some photo's............

This will only let my upload 1 picture, shame!! i have more......

post-17050-1245862688_thumb.jpg

"A fish that will bite will fight! But the best fish are those that take flight!" ;D

You want to try catching them on a fly!!!.............nice one, they do scrap though don't they :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

That's great mate...your patience paid off! You'll catch bigger but the odds are you'll not forget that first one. I live in Denmark and we've stacks of sea trout over here, and I've had my fair share both from the sea/fjord and the river but I'll never forget the first one!

A little tip...as soon as the fish jumps, drop your rod tip straight to the water. I regularly lost fish on the jump and an old hand gave me this tip and sure enough, it worked. And as Worms said...you want to try catching 'em on fly...guaranteed to put some jelly into your knees!

I live in Denmark aswell mate, that was caught from Riss Skov strand just north of Århus Havn.

where do you fish?

Hiya Peter..sorry...just got this...been offline for a while. I live in Holstebro...fish Storå, Vandkræft søen and the tributaries, and the west coast mainly....plus an odd put'n'take if I fancy bending the flyrod out of season