Abbreviations - not fishing related

Guest Newt

In case there is anyone who visits this section and not the coarse angling section, Steve Randles opened a thread on the various acronyms & abbreviations used to refer to angling groups and such. I added some non-fishing ones and was promptly chastised and told that they should be moved to the Non-Fishing Chat section. frown.gif (however, Steve said it with a biggrin.gif so maybe I can post back on the other section RSN.

Actually, the idea was a good one. When we get a good list of these, Elton will put up a page of them so you can get translations if you see some you don't recognise.

I'm going to post some common ones. Please add any that you think should be added to the page. When we have a fairly complete list, I'll put them all together and send em to Elton.

Acronyms can be used to abbreviate when possible but avoid using so many that the reader is confused. Additionally, be wary that your acronyms may not interpreted correctly. You may mean one thing (LOL = Laugh at Loud), but the reader may infer something else (LOL = Loser On Line). The following is a short list of commonly-used abbreviations. They are especially good for chat rooms and a forum like this one.

*S* smile

*L* laugh

ICDT I can do that

ROFL rolling on the floor laughing

ROFLMAO rolling on the floor laughing my

ass off

GD&R grin, duck and run

BTW by the way

IMO in my opinion

IMHO in my humble opinion (sarcastic)

IMNSHO in my not so humble opinion

FWIW for what it’s worth

LOL laughing out loud

L8R later

BRB be right back

AFAIK as far as I know

NRN no response necessary

RSN real soon now (not!)

WYSIWYG what you see is what you get

Please add your picks to this so we get a fairly complete list. I'm trying to stick to only those that are in common useage.

Guest Steve Randles

Thanks Newt...Now I'm learning!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif {Two smileys this time, and a winkie wink.gif}

Only one I can add is

NMFM..No more from me..

------------------

Tight Lines

Steve Randles

• 3 years later...

Nice searching yflass. That one is certainly a blast from the past. I had only registered on the forum 11-21-2000 (that's 21-11-2000 in Euro notation I think) so was very new on the forum and very new to dealing with UK folk.

For that matter, the whole forum was pretty new way back then.

[ 26. December 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President