Trout and carp.

Cranfield

As mentioned in another post, I was trout fishing today in Kent and returned to a water I have not fished for some years, but that still enjoys a good reputation.

I was stunned at the amount of carp in the main water.

Being the time of year, they were cavorting in the rushes, sky rocketing in open water and chasing around the lake showing all the time.

The fishing was poor, due mainly to the heat, but I also wondered how much this explosion of carp contributed as well.

The water is definitely a lot murkier than I remember.

The Fishery apparently has not stocked the carp, but these were fish up to low doubles, which don't grow that size overnight.

It seems that this is another trout fishery that has become spoiled by the introduction/ presence of carp.

I can think of one other in Kent and one in East Sussex.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Spring wood Framwell had a head of large double figure Carp, Commons and Grass for years in the large lake My pall hooked and landed one on an orange Minky once (serves him right) They had no impact on the trout fishing that I could fathom .was the Murkyness down to an Algie bloom?Can happen in next to no time in a hot spell, and does nothing to help the fishing IMO.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

There was no obvious algae bloom and the majority of the lake is between 15-20ft deep.

The main problem was the intense heat and its no coincidence that the only fish I caught was on only the fourth cast, when we first arrived at opening time (I have visions of limiting out by 9am :rolleyes: ).

I think carp in a large water can almost "disappear", but in the smaller trout lakes (this one was about 3 acres), I think they are all too evident and must have some influence.

Taking into account how "controlled" most trout waters are, I can't understand why they don't try to remove them altogether, or at least reduce their numbers.

One would assume there is an income to be earned by selling off the larger fish.

I can think of a few trout waters with not only carp in,seems not to make much difference.

Was you at woodchurch or Tenterden by any chance-both these venues have a fair head of carp?.

I was at Tenterden, but I haven't had any problems with carp at Woodchurch, Chequertree was the other water in

Kkent I referred to and Decoy Lake was the one in East Sussex.

It is a pity, as trout waters are getting very few and far between.

If the trout fishing is crap in hot weather, why not try catching the carp on fly gear? Good sport and a cracking scrap during periods when the trout are off the feed.

Way to go :D :D