Tackling Perch

tommo666

I know a great venue for Perch, some biggies. I have caught on worm and live bait, but want to start spinning. I have some lovely little Mepps spinners I want to try. Problem is I know there are Pike present. Knowing Perch are tackle shy, especially wire trace, where do I begin? How do you entice the Perch without a trace and avoid a poor Pike running around with maybe a broken rig?

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can.

I've caught 20lb pike on the tiniest of lures (size 3 Ondex).

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Problem is Elton, I don't want to seem irresponsible. maybe some larger diameter braid to the spinner? I Know a lot has been said about braid and pike fishing. Just worried about a pike swimming around with a spinner stuck in it's jaws

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Which is why you have to use wire :)

Honestly, unless somebody else comes up with a miracle solution, I reckon you should be searching for the best wire for the job.

It may cause you to spook a few fish, but it's the only way, imo. If the perch you're after swim around together, you'll probably find they don't even notice the wire once they get 'competitive'. I've had loads follow their friends into the net in the past :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have many years of experince using fluorcarbon leaders, 0,47 mm fishing for big perch. I absolutely catch more fish with this than my few friends that use metal... This is only when we aim for perch or zander and if the water has big pike i always use metal. I know that danish fishermen are experimenting with this too, almost never lose a lure. This is for fishing with jiggs and topwaterlures, not for live bait.

No, im sure youre right, when the fish is eager there is no problem at all, I have caught big perch on very big jerk/crankbaits when fishing for big pike. But, when the fish is not in the mood, which is quite often, small details as which kind of leader you choose makes a huge difference. Big fish often get big for a reason and it is not only genetic. Big fish often looks twice before eating...

I too use fluorocarbon when specifically targetting perch (and chub) in a location where I know them to be. For sure, in the very clear water that I normally fish, if I use a wire trace I know I'll switch off the bigger fish.

Since I tend to use small lures with a single barbless hook for perch fishing, on the rare occasion that a pike takes the lure and bites through the trace, I figure it will lose the lure and hook very quickly. I had one bite off last season and have so far come through this season with no losses. Using a single circle hook on spoons and spinners will almost certainly mean that the 'hook up' is in the scissors and the trace is clear of the mouth (and teeth)

I don't advocate mono for general lure fishing where you're aiming for a mixed bag. Neither would I suggest you use it with treble hooked lures. If you start to catch pike then you must switch back to wire.

If you are fishing for perch and not confident about using mono traces then try some of the newer brands of coated fine wire which seems to work a little better than bare wire. I think Drennan do something with a baked on nylon coating which doesnt peel off or bunch like the old plastic coated wires.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'