England expects

madmax

RobStubbs:

England may have been a bit of a melting pot in days of old when invasions and the like were the norm but that's called history.  I like to think that's what makes it a bit more culturally diverse and interesting.  Now if I were American then I wouldn't understand what you were talking about.  But then History from an American perspective is just a few hundred years  

rob

um where to start.

you think that history and the melting together of peoples makes for an interesting life.

yeah right, if only it was that simple.

looking at it from a Childs point of view, yes that's spot on rob.

in reality I'd say that was about as different as cheese and chalk,

but don't take my word for it, how many of us trust our neighbours, I mean really know them and feel comfortable with their funny moods/ways.

I don't or cannot even begin to understand my neighbours let alone the whole nation.

fear, the weather, ignorance, that feeling of loss, all add up to a troubled ppl.

the same can be applied to almost any where which has the same kind of history.

then again, if you are a leader of peoples, you might want to keep them divided, it's hard to control a people united.

I dunno, maybe I'm looking to deep into things.

to answer you rob, where am i going with this, in truth, just here for now. :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet that your neighbours don't understand you too well either eh Madmax?

[ 29. July 2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Paul_D ]

Paul

I suppose I'm as 'English' as they come having an old English name for 'of the woods', but tracing the folks back over the last 200 years I find some Frenchies from the Isle Of Wight who probably came with the last invasion and Scots & Irish 'Clans' have had an input as well - Which makes me a typical Brit / English - A Mongrel!

Our ancestry probably explains why we have one of the more 'multicultural' countries and accept genuine 'displaced persons' as one of our own.

The current 'disquiet' over immigrants is mainly down to our inept government and their constant reliance on 'spin'. If these people had genuine reason to fear for their safety rather than many of them being 'economic migrants' then the nation would embrace them like we did the 'boat people' (terrific takeaways!) and others in the past.

Kendo - Till he gets you to the other side

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.