To ground bait or not to ground bait?

kelvindavies11

I am relatively new to course fishing and was wondering...

...when should and when shouldn't you use ground bait?

I fishing a stretch of cannal that holds the usual suspects, tench, rub, roach etc. I tend to only fish using a waggle close of near the bottom, unless I see signs of movement on the top.

The area of canal I fish (neath canal, south wales), is in areas weeding with patches of open water and lilly pads.

Thank you all in advance.

Kelvin

I am relatively new to course fishing and was wondering...

...when should and when shouldn't you use ground bait?

I fishing a stretch of cannal that holds the usual suspects, tench, rub, roach etc. I tend to only fish using a waggle close of near the bottom, unless I see signs of movement on the top.

The area of canal I fish (neath canal, south wales), is in areas weeding with patches of open water and lilly pads.

Thank you all in advance.

Kelvin

If you are new to fishing I would say that one of the best ways to learn things is to do them. Try groundbaiting the areas you fish and see what your results are, compare them to your results when you don't groundbait. There are lots of variables that can affest it but thats all part of the fun of fishing in my eyes, sometimes you get it right sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

Another option is next time you go fish 2 swims, one slightly to your left one slightly to your right. Groundbait one and just loosefeed the other, over a day see which swim produces more.

When I fish canals I always take groundbait with me but I don't always use it, I just try to guage how the fish are feeding first and go on from there. I'm no expert on canals though and my results can be erratic at best.

Just try it, if it works - great - if it doesn't then leave it