Big Fish Catchers.

trent.barbeler

Dear All,

No one can surely doubt the rise to popularity that big fish catching enjoyed in the 1970's and 80's.

Does the AN community regard this rise as one that levelled off, tailed off, or carried on soaring above all expectations??

Regards,

Lee.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I think back to 1990 .... would I seriously have thought that Barbel and Bream would be talked about as 20lb fish and Tench heading into the upper teens ? No I don't think so. So in answer to the question, I think the weights keep soaring. Interesting that Roach / Rudd, who will take mini / broken boilies,have not followed suit ?

Not to sure about that one Jon, plenty of really big roach in most good carp waters, just that they are seldom fished for.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Dear Chaps,

Big fish catching is as far as I can see still a growth facet within angling generally. Going into many tackle shops as I do, stock items on sale seem to confirm this as all these shops seel a huge range of wares dedicated to big fish catching.

Roach and Rudd to my knowledge Jon have not yet joined the ranks of the "fashion" fish. However, within the ranks of the serious big fish angler these species are perhaps prized above most other species.

Tench are on most big fish anglers minds now as they arise from their winter slumbers. Fizzing bubbles and dark backs humping out over beds of hemp. Makes your spine tingle.

Early dawns breaking amid dawn chorus. Mists rolling up from warm lakes spilling out onto fresh meadows whilst the unseen splashes of rolling fish fill the expectations of fish yet to come.

Regards,

Lee.

Who wants to catch small fish?! :rolleyes:

What's better 'n' more bootiful than a big perch, roach or rudd? .. or grayling?

How difficult is it to catch a 20 lb carp trapped in a lake with 200 others of the same weight or heavier?

A 2 lb river roach, perch or rudd .... that's a different kettle of fish

DG

[ 03. April 2004, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Dear Geezer,

Who wants to catch [bsmall[/b] fish?!

Quite a lot of anglers actually. Or at least they did. I remember when pole fishing became popular in this country. Pole fishing became very popular amongst matchmen fishing canals and some smaller rivers. This form of fishing quickly grew as it became evident that unless one was fishing on the pole, other match competitors hadn't a chance of matching the pole anglers fine tactics. Pole fishing became "the" method for catching small silver fish. But now, pole fishing as moved up several gears so its become possible to catch quite large fish on this method. Big fish again?

Anglers of all types of course traditionally dream of those big fish. "The one that got way" or "It was "this" big" as outstretched arms demonstrate the escapee's size. Fishing has always been puncuated with the biger fish in mind.

Its just that now I'm starting to see a real pinacle growing out of big fish angling that I've never seen before. Couple this with the undoubted rise in UK fish species attainable size and it appears the big fish angler has never had it so good.

Regards,

Lee.

Dear Peter,

Every single big fish catcher that I know personally was schooled in the art of catching small fish on suitably light tackle. Indeed, many of them still employ such methods when fishing for particular specimens. Where are you coming from Peter?

Regards,

Lee.

i agree with you lee. i think that the rise in the "instant angler" has effected the carp fraternity more than the all round category. i would hazzard a guess that there is not one single "name " spezi angler or even talented spezi angler that started by fishing for carp. i started by fishing for all the little stuff, moving on to tench, bream etc before going on to pike and carp.

i also thank my lucky stars that i was brought up using a pin as i love to trot moving rivers and it gives you an appreciation for just what a pin can do.

as fpr the growth, do you not think maybe that the improvement in tackle and tactics has played some part in making some of these fish more catchable?

and finnally i couldnt agree with you more about big roach and rudd. most of the guys on here will know me as a mad keen zander angler, but my favourite PB is my 3.08 rudd and the other 2x 3lbers that i have had. i spent a lot of time last summer tracking down another big rudd water. a big golden 3lb rudd is in my opinion the most stunning looking of our coarse fish.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk