Legering target boards?

kinmad

Hello to all,

After a few years away from course fishing i am once again bitten by the bug.Mainly due to my son taking an interest in it.

I always used to use a target board behind the quivertip,but the only ones i can find are tiny circular ones about half the size of a table tennis bat :angry:

Are the sturdier rectangular boards still available?If so where from?

Any advice appreciated :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello to all,

After a few years away from course fishing i am once again bitten by the bug.Mainly due to my son taking an interest in it.

I always used to use a target board behind the quivertip,but the only ones i can find are tiny circular ones about half the size of a table tennis bat :angry:

Are the sturdier rectangular boards still available?If so where from?

Any advice appreciated :)

I cant say i have seen any of the large ones lately. I think you will find the small ones seem to be the in thing nowadays. You could always try making your own one out of a bit of ply or plastic board.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I know they used to be very popular in match circles but other than for shy biting skimmers in the colder weather I have never found them of benefit.

I do however generally fish with 2 rods so have a target as such.

When fishing with right bait tactics etc generally bites are positive especially in todays commercial waters.

Other than that as wayne says making your own can be good fun aswell.

regards

john

Never found a need for those daft little ones for quiver tipping but I do use a large one for swingtipping.This is used more as a windshield and support though.Mine was made for me by my brother out of a sheet of perspex.A simple job.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Never found a need for those daft little ones for quiver tipping but I do use a large one for swingtipping.This is used more as a windshield and support though.Mine was made for me by my brother out of a sheet of perspex.A simple job.

The real purpose is soley for bream fishing.Two local lake i fish holds some big ones but the bites are always the same.The quiver will gently pull say quarter of an inch,then just as gently drop back.If you don't see it you miss it and they always feed best in the worst weather so the tip is usually being blown about.A 1oz roach will give a more positive bite than a 4lb bream :)

Thanks for all the help on this,reckon i shall have to go and knock the bottom out of a drawer and make one.

The real purpose is soley for bream fishing.Two local lake i fish holds some big ones but the bites are always the same.The quiver will gently pull say quarter of an inch,then just as gently drop back.If you don't see it you miss it and they always feed best in the worst weather so the tip is usually being blown about.A 1oz roach will give a more positive bite than a 4lb bream :)

Thanks for all the help on this,reckon i shall have to go and knock the bottom out of a drawer and make one.

use a bankstick its just as good---stick it i in like u would a target board

never trust a gizzmo----stamp on em

I cut the lid of a plastic Tupperware type box and then put 4 holes in it, in much the same way as a pike drifter float vane. I used a few different colours of insulating tape (the best stuff in the world IMO) to make stripes and then I just use a bankstick with a butterfly rest to band it it onto. I've used it once...lol but it will get it's day out. I tend to find a spare bankstick or a even a bit of grass...anything to act as a sight is plenty. I only used the target board where my tip was over rippling water and it was making my head spin.

...andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Another alternative and one which is what I use frequently is sight bobs on the quiver. I often use two rods when quiver tipping for Bream and set them up parrallel so movement is easily seen between the two and even more so when you are looking along rods that are fitted with sight bobs which in turn can be changed to beta lights or star lites for fishing into the dark. I have put a couple of photos (sorry for the quality) of an exagerated example to give you the idea.

Another alternative and one which is what I use frequently is sight bobs on the quiver. I often use two rods when quiver tipping for Bream and set them up parrallel so movement is easily seen between the two and even more so when you are looking along rods that are fitted with sight bobs which in turn can be changed to beta lights or star lites for fishing into the dark. I have put a couple of photos (sorry for the quality) of an exagerated example to give you the idea.

Hey thats a good idea tbh i never thought of doubling up sightbobs.

As stated by andy macfarlane,the rippling water behind the tip really messes with my eyes after a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions,i have butchered a target board together with some ply and will give that a go.But i am also going to try the double sightbob idea aswell!

:)

Are they made from waggler inserts?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...