You think pike have it bad in the uk

Tony 1

Old news I'm afraid!

Pike are not indeginous across the whole of the N. American continent and the americans put huge amounts of time and effort into making sure that species oo not get transported outside their natural ranges. Northern pike (as they call pike in the US) have been illegally stocked into some lakes in Northern California and the fish and game people are putting a lot of time and effort into getting rid of them.

However, don't for one moment think americans are anti pike. Although not as highly prized as bass, pike are regarded as a prime sportfish in the Northern states (where are an indigenous species) and, although they may get eaten on a regular basis, anyone taking under or oversized fish (they have 'slot' limits there), exceeding their catch limit or chucking a pike up the bank (it is illegal to kill a fish for any reason other than to eat it) will have the State Fish and Game people on them like a ton of bricks.

In the states they set laws regulating their fisheries and enforce them with a capita 'E' by rangers who pack pistols. I wish we did the same here.

The only place I've really fished in the states is in Maryland, at a big (by our standards) lake 45 mins away from Baltimore. Anyone can turn up at the boat landing, buy a licence, buy bait (yes live bait too) and fish. The seven day licence lets you fish anywhere in the state, no club membership, no waiting list to join a syndicate - nothing!

Bearing in mind that the place I was fishing was very close to a huge city, the fishing was exteremely good and very well regulated. A lot better than anything we have in the UK. I'd lobve to fish some of those really wild lakes out in the paciofic North West.

They may blow up pike, but I'm afriad the americans could teach us an awful lot about fishery management.

'The program launched in 2000 by state and local officials has shocked, netted, trapped, hooked and blown up more than 31,000 pike, but the voracious non-native fish have only grown larger and more abundant.'

They tried dynamiting the shallow spawning areas in the spring.

I did suggest to them that they would only end up increasing the numbers of hungry smaller fish and suggested that they read http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon14.htm

But they never replied :(

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

StuMac:

Old news I'm afraid!

However, don't for one moment think americans are anti pike. Although not as highly prized as bass, pike are regarded as a prime sportfish in the Northern states (where are an indigenous species) and, although they may get eaten on a regular basis, anyone taking under or oversized fish (they have 'slot' limits there), exceeding their catch limit or chucking a pike up the bank (it is illegal to kill a fish for any reason other than to eat it) will have the State Fish and Game people on them like a ton of bricks.

They are definitely considered sportfish, see here ,up in the northern states and they aren't typically found in southern states. I had never heard of pike in California until I read a thread about culling them here on AN. Disgusting if you ask me.

The problem with laws in the states is that they vary state to state and provide a booklet that specifies how many of whatever species you take up to what length, and what time of year it's in season. I have never heard of only being allowed to take fish for food. They don't always limit the number of fish that you can take or the size. It's fairly common to toss carp in the bushes but as carping becomes more popular who knows. More than likely you'll see something similiar to what happens here in the UK with pike. The unschooled still line the bank with them. :mad:

The fish and wildlife guys (DNR) can come down on you if and only if they were around or have evidence. They can take all your tackle, poles, your boat, trailer, and truck if you are poaching. Not to mention banning you for life in that state from obtaining a fishing license. Keep in mind this would be the most extreme case.

Still I doubt you would see anyone at some of the lakes in the Pacific northwest. That's my kind of fishing. :D

[ 09. January 2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Dvarcet ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

It's fairly common to toss carp in the bushes but as carping becomes more popular who knows.

Common, yes. Legal, no. And if caught, the thrower faces a hefty fine although it's a litering/polluting thing. Most, unfortunately, are not caught.

Rough fish aren't very protected and carp class as rough fish. Fine to take them for bait, food, pet food, sale, whatever as long as you take them away.

Game fish (different classification criteria than yours and lots more 'game' species) can only be taken for people food. Illegal to take them for anything else, including bait.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President