River Thames after dark

Gary B

Last night I took the lad night fishing for the first time on the Thames at Bourne End, Bucks (Spade Oak stretch over the railway crossing).

We arrived at 8.30 to find some swims taken all Eastern Europeans, one older guy in particular fishing with what can only be described as shark tackle blind drunk, swinging an axe in one hand and a 10" blade in the other, no one said a word despite the number of dog walkers and other anglers.

We settled down a short distance away and got chatting to 2 other anglers who were again Polish but passionate about the hobby, both holding the necessarry licences and to be honest true gentlemen, one told me he had recently been mugged by Bulgarians for his rods on the riverbank.

After dark just before 10pm a large gang walked behind us all Eastern European carrying cheap fishing rods and cooking gear we counted 21 people walking towards Marlow.

Add the other 15 people already there thats a lot of fish being taken from a small stretch of river.

We had seen enough and decided to leave... walking back I genuinely feared for me and my 12 year old lad's safety, if the EA really want to catch these fish thieves they will need the help of the police and adress the problem mob handed.

Sorry guys for the long rant but this has been a real eye opener for me, not all European visitors are fish thieves, from what I have experienced after dark on the river is a different world.

We had seen enough and decided to leave... walking back I genuinely feared for me and my 12 year old lad's safety, if the EA really want to catch these fish thieves they will need the help of the police and adress the problem mob handed.

If they were, as you say, stealing fish, then I assume this was on club water?

I have to say, if I'd have seen someone blind drunk and waving a knife and an axe about near me, I think I might well have called the Police – they take that sort of thing very seriously these days.

Always a close call, I would have dialled 999 straight away.

It;s not racist mentioning them (EE's) but they are very problematic. Thankfully they EE's are eating the Muscovy Ducks.

remember to have your say on the EA site about taking fish from Freshwater venues

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

After dark just before 10pm a large gang walked behind us all Eastern European carrying cheap fishing rods and cooking gear we counted 21 people walking towards Marlow.

Add the other 15 people already there thats a lot of fish being taken from a small stretch of river.

I see lots of drunk UK anglers camped out for days on end with fishing rods and cooking gear..........Cant believe there are any fish left anywhere.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

From personal experience of Polish guys they are very loud! and as we dont understand what they are saying and Polish being quite gutteral I think they often come across as aggressive when in fact they are not! Beer and getting drunk is a big part of a lot of Polish fishermens "night out" There is definately a big difference between fishermen and anglers.

Try talking to any of them about fishing and most turn out to be very pleasant and friendly if not a bit loud and drunk!

But if knives etc are being waved about and despite trying to be friendly you still feel threatened then call the police you surely would if they were English?

More head in the sand stuff.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

From personal experience of Polish guys they are very loud! and as we dont understand what they are saying and Polish being quite gutteral I think they often come across as aggressive when in fact they are not! Beer and getting drunk is a big part of a lot of Polish fishermens "night out" There is definately a big difference between fishermen and anglers.

Try talking to any of them about fishing and most turn out to be very pleasant and friendly if not a bit loud and drunk!

But if knives etc are being waved about and despite trying to be friendly you still feel threatened then call the police you surely would if they were English?

More head in the sand stuff.

You are assuming it was not reported...it was

Its a shame you had your evening spoilt Gary. Also a shame for your sons first trip fishing, Not a good intruduction to the sport.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

You are assuming it was not reported...it was

Yes I was as that seems to be the norm.Im glad you reported it Gary as even though the police might not have been seen to have done anything it helps build up a documented history on which they will find it much easier to act later.

However can I ask if you saw all/or any of these people taking/killing fish/eating them?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!