Salthous North Norfolk Saturday 15th August 2009 REPORT

John E Ashford

Salthouse North Norfolk Report Saturday 15th August 2009

We arrived just after 6am and where casting our baited rigs by 6-30am. The tide was still ebbing, so with a full day in front of us we should find out what this venue gives at any time on a 12 hour turnaround.

This is a shingle banked shore line with pockets of flat sand, running west to east. On the day there were south Westerly’s blowing over our left shoulders. Setting up our beach buddies and umbrellas we would be comfortable sheltered from the gusts that would stay with us for the day. `T-shirts’ were the order as temperature would stay in the lower 20’s

The signs were there for us to see, green sea weed was all along the shore line. But being the optimists we continued to put the baited rigs out at different distances. To no avail, there was no interest in the offerings we put in front of any fish that hopefully were out there.

The shingle bank saw anglers come and go, but no fish reports. Day strippers walking the beach were telling us no one was catching. Though anglers to the left and right of us, for as far as we could see, were all putting in a good effort.

Weed, weed and more weed, it was time to try for Mackerel. The baited rigs were just not working, either the few crabs that were out there would strip your hooks, or the baited rigs would come back covered in weed.

The beach was full of good spirit, the cracc with strangers made the day a little more pleasant, but no fish were being landed. Not helping was the patrol of Sammy the Seal, every two hours he would emerge looking at us, asking the same question “where are the fish”.

Two chaps told us they did have one Mackerel, the only fish they knew that came ashore. But like us they saw no action from the mass of anglers lined along the Salthouse beach.

Being old salts, always with a positive attitude, we should have read the beach, and Seal. Well we did enjoy our trip, tried and tried, but if they are not there, every effort would be in vain.

We will be back Saturday 12th September 2009, when will be having our annual shore Open, watch this space for info, when we will be landing fish, because it’s a Blanking Competition. :wacko:

It’s my first time at Salthouse, free car parking, walk over the shingle bank, then it’s fishing at any state of the tide, as there’s always a good depth to the water right in front of you. Also I have it on good authority there is some very good fish come out of the water, you just have to be there on the day. :)

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

I love fishing and even when you dont catch it is nice to be out. I agree it is nice to talk to the public too. The weed is reported all along the coast even reaching as far as us in Suffolk.

You cant blank sitting at home either.

May be interested in the open match.

Benacre.

I'm lucky to go fishing everyday (when the FPO allows me)

East Anglian Fishing Forum

http://www.easternanglers.co.uk/

Ahhhh.... What memories that brings back. I used to fish Salthouse in the 1940s as a schoolboy angler, equipped with as many handlines as I could muster. Three-boom brass paternosters, each boom garnished with a No 4 dabhook to 3-ply twisted gut. Cuttyhunk line wound on a wooden frame, 6 oz circular grip lead. Lay out the tackle, attach lugworm, check the line was not snagged, whirl the tackle round your head, and launch into the 'oggin. By the time you had put out several handlines, the first had fish on it.

Whiting, pout, rockling, codling, flatties galore - halcyon days.

John, if ever anyone deserved a decent fish next time, you do! That was a wonderful description of Salthouse - keep 'em coming.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...