Marker floats

terry t shirt

I'm hoping its something obvious i'm missing but i cant seem to cast a marker float and get the float to surface to map out the lake bed.

Tackle is

Braided mainline with 2 oz lead free running on it.

Float tied to end of mainline.

I've tried putting a cpl of beads between float and lead

also tried attaching the float to a 12" trace

but anything other than an under arm swing and the float seems to snag up.

Any ideas?

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

It's probably because the line is getting stuck/twisted in the small eye of the lead. Make up a little boom with a really big swivel (or ceramic - not plastic - run ring) on one end, then 12" of heavy (15lb+) mono, then your lead. Use 3oz if you can get away with it, one of the nobbly ones. I use a couple of rig sleeves to slide over the lead and swivel to keep it neat and stop the line catching on anything.

Thread the braid mainline through the big swivel/ceramic run ring, add a couple of big beads, then tie on your float. It should work as you expect.

(I tried using plastic run rings before, and the braid cuts a groove in them, and then gets stuck - very annoying!)

Like this picture here: http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/marker-float-setup.html (I don't use a cork ball though)

Or this: http://www.dynamitebaits.com/index.php?id=724

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Any ideas?

I'd echo everything Anderoo said! I'd also go for a big marker float! The one I now use (after being jealous of Anderoo's) is about 8 to 10 inches long and red all the way down. Being red all over and really long makes it much easier to spot when it pops up, even in choppy water.

Rich