Wireless

Jeff S

what do you agree with dean?

as long as you take certain steps (most of them outlined in that article) i don't see why you can't or shouldn't leave your wifi open for others to use. i often use my wifi PDA on whatever network i find to check email when i'm out and about

It's fairly easy to secure a wlan against the casual interloper anyway; disabling DHCP and restricting the MAC addresses of devices which can connect will be enough to deter someone who will give up at the first problem. Enabling WEP isn't difficult (not on mine, anyway) and although WEP is crackable[0], I think it's unlikely anyone would go to that much effort.

[0] WEP Strength

Steve Walker:

I think it's unlikely anyone would go to that much effort.

Make it less available and they will make time to do it.

Steve Walker:

i don't see why you can't or shouldn't leave your wifi open for others to use. i often use my wifi PDA on whatever network i find to check email when i'm out and about

Maybe everyone should pay a flat rate (well those that have wireless capability) in order to use it instead of pirating someone elses. Problem is not everyone is willing to pay which is why they are being prosecuted in the first place.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff S:

Jeff S:

I think it's unlikely anyone would go to that much effort.

Make it less available and they will make time to do it.

Cracking WEP encryption isn't something the average PC user would know where to begin with, though. If I lived in high density housing where I didn't know my neighbours, I might worry about it, given that there are WEP crack tools available on the web. Other than screw it down tight (enable WEP, disable DHCP, disable SSID broadcast, disable UPNP, restrict to known MAC addresses, ensure that hosts on your network are themselves secure) I'm not sure what else you can do; use a wired network or build a Faraday cage round your house, perhaps :D

It's just like securing your house, if someone is sufficiently motivated to break in, they will find a way. If they know about the formula on your PC for a secret bait irresistible to carp, they might eventually hack their way in, otherwise I shouldn't think they'll bother.

a faraday cage, now why didn't i think of that?

seriously though, if thees spare bandwidth, why not share it? i have two wireless networks, both unencrypted. i've taken measures to make sure my data and i are safe, so why shouldn't i share what i don't use?

jeepster:

i don't see why you can't or shouldn't leave your wifi open for others to use

Sorry Jeeps but that made me snigger :D

Bare in mind I have no idea what a wifi is and read it as "wifey". :o

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.