multiplier reels

dr bacardi

hi all,i am after a multiplier reel for use with my jerk bait rod and am unsure which to buy.

i will be useing 80lb braid which is the equivalent of 18lb mono.

but on this reel http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16533 it says Capacity - 255m / 0.30mm would i get enough of my braid on there?

also with this one http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16875 LHW - 10lb/155yds i know with this one i could get the £209 quid one but i did not really want to go to that much.

thanks chris

Power Pro is 0.43mm or 80lb breaking strength.

That means you could spool over 165m of 80lb line on that reel.

Unless you are jerkbaiting for sharks, I can't imagine really needing over 150m of line to allow for casting distance and the fish taking some line.

The real question is how a reel sized for 0.30mm line would perform with the heavier line and the answer is, it probably would not feel too great when you were fishing even if your normal cast was only 30-40 meters at the most.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If I may, I have tried this myself as I had some 80Lb braid (Fireline) and my7 advice? For what it is worth don't bother! I eventually settled on i think it was a STRANGE size of 19Lb from Ron Thomson? LOOKS like fireline (Grey) and it is fine and certainly works ok for me. Don't know the actual strength but it is the equivalent as I say of 19Lb! And if you do need a JERKBAIT reel I know Elton has a couple at present!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

To work out how much line you need to know the manufacturers original specifications ie if this states 150 metres of 10 lb line at .30mm then for say for .40mm the formula would be as follows

.30 divided by .40 times 150metres which gives 112.5.metres

For .43mm line then the formula would be

.30 divided by .43 times 150 which gives 104.65 metres

Trust this helps

For Jerk baiting you cant beat an ABU Ambassadeur 6501C (presuming you hold the rod with your right hand) Pretty much the standard amongst most UK pikers.

You interested then always try me before buying brand new as I always have several ABU's in in various conditions from tatty but working well (all reels serviced by me before sale) up to brand new in box. I give a lifetime guarantee and free servicing deal (all you have to pay is the postage).Prices from £40 to £75 dependant on model and condition.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If I may, I have tried this myself as I had some 80Lb braid (Fireline) and my7 advice? For what it is worth don't bother! I eventually settled on i think it was a STRANGE size of 19Lb

why not bother with 80lb braid ?

as budgie said as well you cant go wrong with a 6501

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

i was told to get 80lb braid because it also helps getting your lure back if it gets snagged also went with titanium traces.some lures cost over £20 each so i dont want to lose too many.

in the end i went for the Shimano Curado E Multiplier.