hummingbird hawk moth

Zigs

We saw one of those in Croatia on holiday this year. No big deal there but it was an amazing sight. The kids were absolutely convinced it was a real hummingbird. Nature is truly wonderful.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I took an image of an elephant hawk moth ( http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Europe/U.../photo25162.htm ), but in caterpillar form.

I was in somerset (visiting Dad) and it was in his garden. Bl**dy huge!! Like a big chubby finger, amazing thing.

They are gorgeous as moths, but I've never been lucky enough to see one in the 'flesh'.

[ 16. September 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Finepix ]

I would have thought that more likely to be the Privet Hawkmoth Sphinx ligustri. Look at

www.atropos.info/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=53&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=4

Humming bird Hawkmoths are Daytime fliers and Migrants to the UK rarely surviving over wintering north of the Alps.

[ 17. September 2005, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

nah, wernt that one tony u, i think we talking crossed moths here though, the one we saw yesterday was def a hbhm, dan & i are on about something that looks a bit like a small cabbage white, but comes out at nite to suck the blood of the living