Match Reels

rarepleasures

Swifys now longer stock the Okuma. He recommended the Shakespeare Mach 3 Front Drag instead. Any thoughts on this one ?

Depends on whether you trust your tackleshop.

If the guy who works in my tackle shop recommended a reel to me I would go for it because I've used him for years and I trust his opinion. If you don't then do you know whether he is genuine or just trying to get rid of old stock. I have no experience with this reel at all but I do have an old shakespear reel in my collection that I used to use for carp before I bought a baitrunner, I never had any issues with it.

What is your budget for this reel?

I've just had a look at the reel and it looks ok and has a good description but if you could get feedback from someone that has used one that would be good.

Edited by rourke7719

I have to say I have used many makes of reels over the years and thought they were all good when I bought them.

Then last year I treated myself to the new daiwa td-r.

It was the 3012. I quickly added a 2502.

I know can not bear to use any of my other reels. I have now bought another 3012.

The only other reel that I might look at would be the new daiwa caldia x as they do these in larger sizes for long range feeder fishing.

Daiwa reels have superb winding power and line lay. I do not know anyone who has bought these reels and not thought they are fantastic.

They are expensive but will out last many other reels and after all the reel is like the engine on a car, very important.

regards

John

In the end I've bought a Shakespeare Mach 3 Front Drag. It arrived yesterday. First impressions are good. Its very smooth, even free running with no discernable wobble on the spool.

Tony

In the end I've bought a Shakespeare Mach 3 Front Drag. It arrived yesterday. First impressions are good. Its very smooth, even free running with no discernable wobble on the spool.

Nice one! The most important factor in any purchase is if you are happy with it. Glad you have a good reel.

How many spools did it come with? I may consider it to replace the one I broke.

Nice one! The most important factor in any purchase is if you are happy with it. Glad you have a good reel.

It had some great reviews by a couple of MaggotDrowners, which persuaded me.

Its definitely better that the Shimano KYs I'd got on Ebay a year ago.

Some of the gold flashes on it are a bit silly. Manfacturers take note appearance isn't as nowhere near as important as confidence that the reel has been built professionally. If the reel don't need it leave it out.

How many spools did it come with? I may consider it to replace the one I broke.

4 aluminium spools. The capacity on 3 of the 4 spools is 100m of 0.17 (3lb) line, the other holds 185m 0.23 (6-8lb). Having just spooled up the first of the shallow one the lay-line looks pretty good.

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony