Another new centrepin

jeremyburnside

I have just received the latest Fishtec catalogue. The new 'Classic' centrepin looks good, £129.99. However it doesn't give its size, I presume 4 1/2 inches, does the lineguard fit left & right? (I am left handed).

From the photo on the Fishtec website (front view only), I'd guess that the line guard can only be used for left hand wind. But for an additional £9.99, are you sure you really want one?

For anyone interested, you can view the TF Gear Classic Centrepin Reel by clicking here.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If you are not wanting to cast any distance by utilising foe example the Wallis cast then a line guard should not hinder performance however if you do want to cast any distance then the lineguard on the TFG reel make this difficult as it is only a quarter guard and prevents the line from flowing freely from the spool. To illustrate this, Chavender put together a good article when he converted one his Okuma and it is worth looking at this to get a good understanding.

http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/374?page=-1

I personally do not like line guards as in my opinion they very much limit the capability of the reel but they can be useful in windy conditions and if you are only pulling loops of line from between the rod rings to cast then there is no real reason not to have them apart from personal preference.

That does look tasty! Is it a pin proper?

its not easy too tell from the zoomed picture ,its either got a single bearing or bushing without endfloat adjustment grub screw.

i like it style wise ,a bit too opened back for my liking,but wouldn't say no to a go with one as it looks a very light spool for casting

at least the line guard is relativley positionable (easy enough too add more positions/ screw holes) and a nice cheap price so it could be added to a wide range of reels that dont have one as standard.its pictured position isn't the best ,nor the worst ,i have a preference for guards too start or finish where the line would virtically hang freely from the spool or a couple of degree's in advance of this .so line has free movement for wallis casting but by the same token prevent line flipping over the backplate .

its not a bad price either .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve