low stretch mono v braid

Worms

Evening Sharkbyte, I'm considering the MTI 15lb offshore rod (12-18lb line). Unfortunately I don't own a boat so my fishing will be from charter boats. Most of this will be with anglers I know. Some more knowledgeable than others. I'm just trying to catch up at the moment after a 20 odd year lay-off from boat angling. I've been three times so far this year and I've been well and truly hooked :P .

Some of the guys have their own tackle other regulars use a club 'pool' of tackle which is, for obvious reasons, not the lightest. I intend spending a bit of cash on some reasonable tackle that will see most of my fishing through which will include the aforementioned rods and reels. I have lighter freshwater tackle and I have a few nice old cane rods that are suitable for a bit of lightweight sporting action (I had a hell of a good time with an Allcock's sea-trout spinning rod and an Alvey pin on a black bream session in the summer!).

I think I will be doing a lot of experimenting with lines next year, I have a few old reels for the shallow water stuff so I'll mix 'n' match braid and mono for different circumstances and see how I get on. Deep water is definitely going to be braid though after the bite detection experiences the other week!

What is interesting is the American approach of braid backing and a 'topshot' of 150 yds of mono. The style of fishing is somewhat different though with trolling and livebaiting etc. that necessitates the stretch of mono when a tuna hits it at speed.

How about Dacron? that stretches which is why it's no good for my longbow strings!

I totally agree with your ethos on playing the fish and not 2lb of lead :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Hi,

I use the low stretch high strength ION POWER 0.354mm 44.6lb. for beach fishing with a tapered shock leader, been doing so for nearly two years without any problems.

I only ever use braid for boat fishing even when uptiding and believe it or not I only use a 3m leader when tope or huss fishing. I am not being a smarty pants but I can feel the bottom much better and you can tell when your on sand or rock.

My golden rule is to cut of 2m after each session to remove any abrasions and I reload the reels every season.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hi,

I use the low stretch high strength ION POWER 0.354mm 44.6lb. for beach fishing with a tapered shock leader, been doing so for nearly two years without any problems.

I only ever use braid for boat fishing even when uptiding and believe it or not I only use a 3m leader when tope or huss fishing. I am not being a smarty pants but I can feel the bottom much better and you can tell when your on sand or rock.

My golden rule is to cut of 2m after each session to remove any abrasions and I reload the reels every season.

Blimey, the mono they make is as thin as a cheese 'n' onion crisp as well!

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Blimey, the mono they make is as thin as a cheese 'n' onion crisp as well!

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

When I started using ION POWER a number of people said various negs about it, but having used it for well over a year without problems I think it is a good product. I weedy conditions I have fished it straight through eliminating any knots and despite low stretch I have lobbed a 3oz lead a good way with my Foo Fighter.

I have just treated myself to a new boat rod for my birthday :lol: best way of getting what you want :lol: I asked Stan of Alba Rods to make me a international 6lb to 8lb rod for braid, absolute class job once again and I hope if the weather eases to put it to some good use after the Bristol Channel cod this Sunday.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I totally agree with your ethos on playing the fish and not 2lb of lead :D

I can take you four mile off portland isle, when the tide is running you need 2lb and braid to hold bottom, sometimes more and on a neap. A mile further up the coast in shallow water on a blonde ray bank again you would need 2lb plus braid to hold bottom, good fun when you get a decent one, don't think you could use a 12-20 rod there as you may well struggle a little. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..