Autumn/Winter Tench - Viable Target?

Dales

If you can bear to, I'd leave a space in the album and fill it next April/May when tench are at their easiest and biggest! If you can't wait, I would also recommend somewhere small and heavily stocked. I think you'll struggle otherwise.

Yeah I know you are right, but my girlfreind has found a company that bind the album up etc and so no real blank pages for the ones that got away or were not photographed. It's supposed to cover my 40 years angling achievements :rolleyes: the reality is that its mainly pictures from the last few years.

And at some point I have to draw a line and let her get the album done. I can always do some real Tench fishing come next April/May and hope for a PB for Album II covering 40-60 years :rolleyes:

It just would not feel right not to have a Tinca in it, as most of my early fishing was for Tench long before even dreaming of Carp. In a way since my girlfreind come up with the idea of doing the album it has really given me an incentive to go out and try to catch some of the fish that I have always fancied but never got around to having ago for. The Wels & Zander been the highlights.

But how does an Angler get to 40 without a picture with a Tench? or am I being lazy and think its easier to go out and catch one then tackle going through all the boxes in the attic and shed :rolleyes:

Have a good clear out and tidy up or go fishing :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Ok maybe this has been answered but heres my 2 cents.

Yes, catching good size Tench is possible, even in the middle of winter. Although there are some tricks you need to know.

First of all is the location. You need to find a small pond that holds a good head of Tench. Big gravel pits and lakes wont work. A small mill pond or something, with a decent margin and overhangs etc. Once you find your target lake, then choose 1 swim that you are religiously throughout. Now heres the trick, feed this swim up as often as you can, even on days your not fishing. Picking a local pond is good because you can easily find the time to visit and pre bait when your not fishing. Eventually fish will find the swim, and, if you keep the food going in they wont move off to much and will also keep feeding. You have to remember that fish feed less in winter not becuase there not hungry, but because there are using more enery keeping warm. If they can find a good supply of food, with little effort, they will feed and continue to feed until the food stops.

Ive been feeding a swim throughout October and yesterday (Nov 1st!) had a 7,7lb, fin perfect Tinca and ive been on today to feed up and there was plenty of bubbling.

Do this and i promise you will catch tench all year round!

gone

[quote But it's good to know that they can be caught late on in the year.

Hi Dales,

One of my fellow members of the Tenchfishers decided he would deliberately set out to catch at least one tench every month right through the year. He finally decided to give up this quest in November 2008 not because he failed to catch one but, after catching tench for 32 consecutive months, he felt that he had made his point!

So it can be done but you do have to pick your water carefully. A fairly shallow, hungry water containing a good head of tench is a must.

Best of luck.

Steve C

I have had the odd winter tench over the years. Mainly when winter carping. But in my opinion the winter is best spent after more obliging species. But if you set your mind to catching one in the winter good luck.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.