Welcome Screen Problem

riverside

I am using XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3. I have 5 user accounts. Two are administrator, two are limited and the guest account. In order to logon, I use the Welcome Screen and also use Fast User Switching. The problem I have now and again is after logging off or switching user. What happens is that I’m left with a totally black screen or a blue screen with the Windows logo on. The list of user accounts doesn’t appear. If I reboot then the list of user accounts loads up again okay. I can’t be certain about this but I think it happens more often than not after using Outlook Express 6.

Any ideas ?

Download the free CCleaner utility and open it. Use it to clear temp files and the other clutter. Then run the CCleaner registry repair and let it fix what it finds.

In the command processor window, key in chkdsk /f (note the space between chkdsk and /f) and ENTER. When you are told the job cannot be done just now, key in Y(es) and ENTER.

Reboot and it will do its thing then reboot again.

Log on with an admin account and defrag your drive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

chkdsk using the /f switch (some file repairs but not really major like the /r switch is) was my go-to fix for strange problems beginning with Win2K although I think I used it more often with XP.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the reply Newt

I do run CCleaner now and again and the registry repair in each of the user accounts on my PC. I’ve not long done a defrag using the Windows defragger. I will give chkdsk a go and see if that helps.

Download the Auslogics Disk Defragger It does a better job and is much quicker than the built in defragmentation tool.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have to say everything on this problem seems alright now. Just had a quick look at the Kaspersky website, not for any real reason and I came across the info in the link below.

http://www.kaspersky.com/support/kis2010/tech?qid=208280979

As I’m running KIS 2010 then the second bullet point under the Fixed paragraph was probably the cause all the time. I must admit I didn’t suspect that Kaspersky would be the problem because I’ve had previous versions which have run no problem at all.

Anyway, I ran CCleaner and defragged using the suggested deffragger so at least I’ve given my hard disk a bit of maintenance.

:)

Glad to hear your problems have been solved.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote