Pike fishing and climate change

Peter M

I read Ian Welch in AM say that the mild weather we are having, due to climate change, may mean that we should put off piking until it gets really cold. I mean look at today here in the south east, day time temps are into double figures and night time is way above freezing. Is there going to be a disolved oxygen problem on lakes? Does climate change mean that we are going to have to change the way we fish? On another point my local club matches are being won with people catching tench for gods sake its December. what are peoples thoughts?

Edited by Peter M

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I read Ian Welch in AN say that the mild weather we are having, due to climate change, may mean that we should put off piking until it gets really cold. I mean look at today here in the south east, day time temps are into double figures and night time is way above freezing. Is there going to be a disolved oxygen problem on lakes? Does climate change mean that we are going to have to change the way we fish? On another point my local club matches are being won with people catching tench for gods sake its December. what are peoples thoughts?

I for one am enjoying the milder weather, it's nice to be Piking and not freezing my N**s off at the same time :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I dont think Ian Welch is qualified to be able to state that this current weather is due to climate change or not. While I am pro climate change, and pro conservation, Its hard to pin day to day, or week to week weather down to climate change. I got sick of AT, its too cyclical, same types of articles are rotated month after month. the angling monthlies are no better, worse if anything.

I do think though, that the general increase in windy weather we are having, at least in windy west wales, is likely due to climate change, mainly due to slight increases in sea temperatures kicking out more low pressure systems. Im not an expert on that, but i have a feeling its likely to be the case.

RE, problems with dissolved oxygen or BOD.

From a biological point of view, I think mild winter temperatures will be unlikely to have a deterimental effect on o2 concentrations. Yes, the warmer the water, the lower the o2 saturation level, but I think its more likely to be a problem in summer, rather than winter. Also remember, a fishes metabolism will slow with a fall in temperature, as such it wont be using enough o2 for it to starve itself of o2 in mild winter weather. The limiting factor to fishes activity level will most likely be temperature itself.

to be honest, there isnt too much we can do about it, even if we stop emitting co2 now, china and india certainly arent going to stop, and the US isnt much better, but then again, its all too 'softly softly' in the UK aswell.

Makes me laugh, they always say that they dont want to do much about climate change because it will be detrimental to their economy, but, in the long term, crop failures, coastal flooding, and the like will cost them just as much money, as it would to do something now. But, thats another matter for another day.

Spot on David.

Although fish can be affected by seemingly very small temperature changes I think that both you,myself and Ian will have long been forgotten before the effects of global warming will have any marked effect on pike fishing! More sensationalising of stuff! In fact just what AT excel at!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sidestepping the climate change/sensationalism issue (because I don't want an argument), I looked at the original question from a more simplistic viewpoint.

1. Pike fishing is a winter activity.

2. Our winters are shorter/milder than they were.

3. Should pike fishing 'season' change to reflect the above?

Quite a good question I think.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I think the things that climate change will effect for fishing are;

the levels and temperatures of upland rivers (particularly where salmon are concerned) draining peatlands

the number of flood events on rivers and the seasonality of them (stripping spawning grounds etc)

fish populations dependant on plankton, such as those in the big natural lakes and lochs

problems may well be encountered with fish that are dependent on hatches or larvae of certain invertebrates, such as the Ephemeroptera, primarily the problems are likely to be seen with the timing of such events. But this is a very new research area.

The things I think it will have little effect on are;

Fish populations in shallow lakes, typically dependant on benthic food items, unless of course we have major drought problems

canals and small lakes

cyprinids in general.

What do the rest of you think? What is and isnt at risk.

And no looking at the angling times for ideas!!!!

Sidestepping the climate change/sensationalism issue (because I don't want an argument),

Hey, dont worry about creating an argument, people are more than entitled to vent ideas, its just when people that dont know much, pretend they do know alot, by stating second hand knowledge, that theyve overheard other people talking about or read in the paper.

but thats different to an honest opinion.

Sidestepping the climate change/sensationalism issue (because I don't want an argument), I looked at the original question from a more simplistic viewpoint.

1. Pike fishing is a winter activity.

2. Our winters are shorter/milder than they were.

3. Should pike fishing 'season' change to reflect the above?

Quite a good question I think.

It could be argued that the "season" (or I suppose more accurately the "closed season") for pike has always been wrong Rusty! We've always been able to fish for them during their spawning period.

In fact the whole pike season thing is a bit of a mess! Allthough traditionally we fish for them mainly in the winter it could be argued that the time they are at their most "sporting" (as in when they fight the hardest and are often most active) is during the Summer! Its because they fight so much harder (and the lower DO levels in warmer water) that many look upon summer piking as "not good for them"

Pike are certainly at their heaviest during the winter but whats more important size or the fight? depends on your own perspective I suppose.

See what I mean? So as its already a mess I don't really see how to change or indeed if it would be beneficial to the accepted season any way? I certainly don't think any climatic change has had enough effect to warrant such? Incidentally I do believe that the seasons have changed in my short life time but wouldn't like to guess as to whether its due to "Global warming" or simply part of the Earths natural climatic cycle.

And that IMO holds for any personal "seasons" an angler would wish to observe or any enforced ones.

I think the whole when to/when not to fish for pike is an extremely good question simply that possible reasons for determining such aren't relevant (well at least yet!)

I think the things that climate change will effect for fishing are;

the levels and temperatures of upland rivers (particularly where salmon are concerned) draining peatlands

the number of flood events on rivers and the seasonality of them (stripping spawning grounds etc)

fish populations dependant on plankton, such as those in the big natural lakes and lochs

problems may well be encountered with fish that are dependent on hatches or larvae of certain invertebrates, such as the Ephemeroptera, primarily the problems are likely to be seen with the timing of such events. But this is a very new research area.

The things I think it will have little effect on are;

Fish populations in shallow lakes, typically dependant on benthic food items, unless of course we have major drought problems

canals and small lakes

cyprinids in general.

What do the rest of you think? What is and isnt at risk.

And no looking at the angling times for ideas!!!!

A totally different question David but I too think a very interesting one. Once again I believe the time scale (well hopefully) will make it not a problem (all though the whole Global Warming issue needs to be faced as soon as possible to avoid getting to that stage) That us or our great grand kids will need to experience.