DIY rod blanks?

david t

Hello,

I used to have a really nice pair of 2lb test curve rods, which were just perfect for small river piking, where the biggest pike we caught was 14lb or so, maximum. They were made by sundridge, proton model I think, 12ft with red whipping, real nice action, and light in the hand too. Useless as big pit rods, but perfect for river work. Anyway, one got snapped and the other got lost, somehow!

Nowadays, it seems all pike rods are 2.5 or more likely 3lb TC, which is fine for big water work, but they are like broom handles for river work.

Anyway, id like to try and get another 2lb TC rod, I have thought about the beefed up barbel rods, but I have also thought about making a rod from a blank. Id like to think im fairly good with my hands, having made most things from longbows to boat trailers! but im not sure where to get rod blanks from, well, there is the internet, but i wonder if anyone knows anyone they can recommend.

Ideally id like a 12ft 2lb TC rod, with one more eye than you get on most carp rods, a nice cork handle and some pretty whipping.

Any ideas for suppliers?

Cheers

Dave

Cheers

just seen them, quite expensive, then again, we are used to prices for mass produced rods from china, so i guess one off things like blanks will be more expensive.

Just looked at the greys rods, they do one or two that might be suitable http://coarse.greysfishing.com/en-gb/produ...odigy-specimen/

with a 2lb TC section, not cheap, but i guess they are well made.

Dave before making some up try to get hold of the original Drennan Pike Float rods.Great Zander rods and brilliant for light to medium pike fishing.These rods have a strange TC rating but are around 2 1/4 to 2 1/2lb. Heavier than you are asking for but I don't think you would find them out of place for what you are looking for.

Second hand from Ebay you should be able to pick them up for the same price a good set of rings and reel seat are going to cost without the blank!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If you want something different how about fibreglass?

http://www.conoflex.co.uk/freshwater-rods.htm

I made up a pair of the through action 1.75lb rods and they are crackers or how about the 2.5lb pike rod.

They are not as heavy as people imagine and are probably going to spend alot of time on rests anyway.

Sweet fish playing action and I know someone who has a pair of the 12ft 2.5lb pike rods and he wouldn't swap them for anything else.

You also get the fun of making them, the satisfaction of catching fish on a rod you made yourself and it's nice to know that no-one else has one the same.

They won't break the bank either.

Go for it, you know you want to ;)

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Kind of ironic really as I still like the Conoflex glass blanks as well but wouldnt give much for their current carbon ones. If I was to go the custom route then I would speak to Brian Potter at Bruce&Walker to see what he had in.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheers

them conoflex rods arent badly priced compared to what ive seen elsewhere. I guess i dont really 'need' carbon in a small river pike rod, as im only flicking baits a short distance, and the action of a softer rod might keep fish on that I would otherwise loose with a stiffer rod.

thanks for all the links

dave