casters

lancslass

Hi all.

Bought some maggots last wednesday, not used any since, but what I was wondering is when they have turned to casters can I put them in a bag and freeze them in the freezer? To use later on. Or will they go to mush and frighten my daughter to death! She isnt impressed with the maggots in the fridge as it is.. :D

Tight lines

Jean

never tried that Jean, but it sounds dodgy, just freeze the maggots and flavour them...dead ones work too

tight lines - andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I once tried freezing casters.

When I came to defrost them, they nearly all

bursted.Better to either buy yours as you need

them, or turn your own, which can work out to be

expensive, as you only get roughly half of the

maggots to turn. Hence the price difference between maggots and casters.

Inside every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened!

A book I have states that you have to keep the casters alive ,i.e. with *some* oxygen getting to them. On the other hand you read articles which do recommend freezing them and then putting them in with your groundbait. not sure who is right.

Jim.

Its not worth the trouble for a few your better off bying them.I do my own but only if I am doing 3/4 pints.

Freezing casters 90 p/c will float.

I used to work in a tackle shop and its the most tedious and boring job going.Best thing is leave the maggots in the fridge and if your going this weeek just use them that have turned on the hook.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

lancslass, NEVER chuck away casters, they are magic if crushed and mixed in your groundbait as Jim says.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Bradford Angler:

cover them lightly with water - as cold as possible and freeze them in water . . allow to defrost at room temp and they will not burst . . and are hookable

Sounds good, BA. Are they as good (or nearly as) fresh? And do they sink...?

Jim.