Centrepins

jeremyburnside

To put the ratchet on there is:

an on - off knob

a side lever

or a caliper

What is a caliper?

If you had a choice, which one would you choose?

A caliper check, or ratchet refers to the style of spring used. This is a circular spring rivetted to the back plate. Opposite the rivets the spring is open and the shaped pawl fits between the two spring ends (similar to viewing a bicycle wheel from the front with the brake caliper straddling the rim). When the ratchet is activated the pawl slides between the spring ends until the spring ends locate in notches on either side of the pawl.

Below are the components of a lever operated caliper check I'm making for a pin at the moment. The caliper/spring end locating indentations are easily seen on the sides of the pawl.

Ratchetbits.jpg

Caliper check/ratchets are usually operated by a sliding knob fixed via a rivet to the pawl. This slides up and down in a slot machined in the backplate.but they can be operated by a lever.

Most lever operated check/ratchets use a 'hairpin' spring with one end against the inside rim of the backplate and the other pressing on the back of the (usually) triangular pawl. The Match Aerial is typical of a reel that has the 'hairpin' spring but an on/off knob operating a cam that moves a lever to which the pawl is pivoting on.

This is a lever operated 'hairpin' spring operated check.

Ratchetmechanism.jpg

I like lever operated actions myself as they can be operated with the flick of a finger (they can also be operated by willow branches when moving swims allowing all of your line to 'trot' across the field!). The (generally) older caliper style springs are easily adjustable from left to right hand wind operation.

Although I love my Match Aerial I find the knob/cam operation a pain to use as it involves moving a hand to operate them. The mordex Merlin has a much easier to operate short lever type on/off switch.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Here is a picture of one of my old reels with a caliper spring which will give you an idea of what they look like. This one has a button operated check but like Worms, I much prefer a lever operated check as they are easily operated without the use of the other hand.

Edited by tincatinca

I like a lever for when I'm legering, I find it's in just the right place when my hand is resting on the rod but have no problems with the knob on the back of my Aeriel for trotting, again, I find it's in the right place cos I'm holding the rod differently to when legering, it just needs a twiddle with the tips of the index and middle fingers, my other two trotting reels don't have a ratchet at all.