Cane or Glass or Carbon Fishing Rods

watatoad

I have used rods of many materials even a tank aerial and it is true to say there are certain characteristics attached to each. Now for me there is only one material and that is carbon fibre with the exception of the quiver tip which I still prefer made from glass fibre. Perhaps one of the important things of note about rod building improvement is the quality, lightness and durability of a good lined guide.

Choice of material is really down to selecting which properties are the most important for the job in hand.

I wouldn't want to use any type of cane for a long trotting/match rod as its simply to heavy and nigh on impossible to get the required crisp action with. Full carbon beach casting rods were the most expensive mistake Ive ever made in tackle! Carbon and glass mixes proving far better (once again using the properties of each to best effect in the required areas of the blank).Carbon fibre long rods/poles etc are the business but carbon cant take the punishment glass can in say deep sea/heavy wrecking situations.Carbon beats the pants off glass in fly rods but cane still has that unique and non copyable feel for fly rods! Horses for courses and a bit of personal preference as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!