Microsoft Pro Photo tools

Steve Randles

Microsoft Pro Photo tools is a set of tools for Photographers including a basic RAW converter and image resizer (convert to TIFF, JPG and HD), where I personally think its most useful is as a geotagger.

Its free and only 5mb to download http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/tools.aspx

Once installed and opened you can drag a Photo in and go to the location tab, insert your country for example "UK" into the country field, you could even insert a city name to further refine it if you wish and a map will show with a pushpin on it...which is where your photograph was taken. Now grab the pushpin with your mouse and using the map and your best judgement move the pin to precisely geotag your image and hey presto...your done.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Microsoft Pro Photo tools is a set of tools for Photographers including a basic RAW converter and image resizer (convert to TIFF, JPG and HD), where I personally think its most useful is as a geotagger.

Its free and only 5mb to download http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/tools.aspx

Once installed and opened you can drag a Photo in and go to the location tab, insert your country for example "UK" into the country field, you could even insert a city name to further refine it if you wish and a map will show with a pushpin on it...which is where your photograph was taken. Now grab the pushpin with your mouse and using the map and your best judgement move the pin to precisely geotag your image and hey presto...your done.

Steve... :)

Why??? :rolleyes:

Why??? :rolleyes:

Probably many reasons for different people, but for me it pinpoints where an image was taken so I can return. It will also help me determine the best time to return ie where the sun will be and what will be in shadow on on the fells. I have to think about these sorts of things before climbing 2500ft!!

Also, I'm currently coding an application which is in effect an online mapping tool utilising Google maps. Now if there are a membership of Photographers or friends and they all upload there Photos that are geotagged...one can see where they took the shots..even track the route they took to get there if there are a string of photo's en route. Handy for example for camera clubs or even visitors to an area if they can see photographs of an area it gives them gps data to go and view for themselves the view that you photographed.

This sort of thing is already in operation around the world, still in its infancy at present but will certainly be widespread and common within the next couple of years.

I also aim to compile "walks" in the Lake district that are mobile phone and satnav compatible, you can already buy books that list certain walks in and around the lakes but having used them I can say that details are sketchy at best, especially when you consider that many of them follow sheep trails....what happens when the sheep make another trail on the left and the book says go left? You get lost. With a photo you would not.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet