Which UK river is the worst for fishing?

tiddlertamer

Who controls the fishing up there ?

WGC AC, Hatfield AC. The Red Spinners, Verulum AC and a few others that I am unsure of.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WGC AC, Hatfield AC. The Red Spinners, Verulum AC and a few others that I am unsure of.

Do you know of any day ticket or free stretches that are worth fishing?

Thanks.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Do you know of any day ticket or free stretches that are worth fishing?

Thanks.

There are a few swims at the downstream end of Wheathamstead town Park which are worth a try (free fishing). Before I joined VAC we used to fish there and we had some good catches of Chub up to 3.5lb and once the light starts to fade in the evening the smaller Barbel start to show (2 to 5lbs).

Most of the park is too shallow and you can paddle in wellies but it gets deeper (3 or 4ft) for the last six or so swims before it leaves the park and thats where the Barbel are usually caught.

The next stretch after it leaves the park is leased by Verulum AC and it becomes deeper and is an excellent stretch with some good sized Barbel, Chub, Roach, Dace and the occasional large Perch (a friend of mine had a Perch of 4lb 3oz there in late September while after Chub).

There is a day ticket stretch of the river next to Stanborough Lake in WGC next to the A1 and the better swims are near the far end away from the carpark.

But the Barbel usually only show themselves there just before and just after dusk and you have to be off the water at the times stated on the day ticket so you only have an hour or two after Barbel but there are Carp, Chub, Roach and Bream in there to keep you busy during the day, or you can turn round during the middle of the day and fish the Lake which is full of Carp & Bream plus some giant Roach (there are Roach in the lake up to 3lb) plus some Tench plus a few Zander; and then turn around to the river again to catch a couple of beards as dusk approaches.

Of course the better Stretches all seem to belong to the Clubs.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• 3 months later...

just reading through this and find it funny that the only 2 in my hometown where mentioned. darwen and blakewater. the picture of blakewater being covered is funny aswell as the town centre in the background has been the same till 2 years ago. we are still waiting for it to reopen :wallbash: .

just out of curiousity who won the worst river award :)

just reading through this and find it funny that the only 2 in my hometown where mentioned. darwen and blakewater. the picture of blakewater being covered is funny aswell as the town centre in the background has been the same till 2 years ago. we are still waiting for it to reopen :wallbash: .

just out of curiousity who won the worst river award :)

I was kind of hoping not to win. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

One that looks great but you cant get permission to fish it

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God