Does snow melt dries up bites?

Tangledreel

On Sunday I went to my local river for a fish, looking for some elusive Graying and Roach but endured a biteless day. I spoke to the other Anglers on the river and they too had been unable to find any fish. Some put this down to snow melt or the heavy rain from the night before. Does anyone know which view is correct or have any tips for fishing these conditions?

On Sunday I went to my local river for a fish, looking for some elusive Graying and Roach but endured a biteless day. I spoke to the other Anglers on the river and they too had been unable to find any fish. Some put this down to snow melt or the heavy rain from the night before. Does anyone know which view is correct or have any tips for fishing these conditions?

I'd say it's the cold snow melt that's the problen as the rain water should be quite warm in comparison and when the snow melts gone then the rain should help warm up the rivers and maybe get the fish lookin for some jack bit.

I'd say it's the cold snow melt that's the problen as the rain water should be quite warm in comparison and when the snow melts gone then the rain should help warm up the rivers and maybe get the fish lookin for some jack bit.

Thanks Tigger, the river was strange green/brown colour that I had never seen before. We don't really get much snow normally on the South Coast...

Does snow melt dries up bites?

Yes, generally speaking, for lots of reasons.

Although you post suggests a slightly different angle to the question.

Without knowing what river or what section of the river you are fishing nor what method of fishing you are using, an answer is difficult.

However on the assumption it is more rain than snow melt, you are float fishing, you need to fish the same section and feel you cant wait a few days.

Try shortening the distance between float and hook, I would look to fish 12" to 18" above the river bed, if the water is really flowing hard remember you need enough weight to get the bait down, try looking for slack areas of water, some will suggest very smelly baits, others will suggest bright coloured baits.

As I said not an easy question to answer without more details, if its snow melt and the water is tearing past forget fishing and take the wife/girlfriend/partner/whatever out for the day. Might stand you in good stead later in the year.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Hi watatoad

You are correct in guessing that I was trotting. The advice of moving up from the bottom is really helpful, I spent the whole day trying to find the bottom. The flow was very fast and the only thing I managed to hook all day was debris. The snow had been melting for a couple of days then it rained all day Saturday. This caused the river (the free part of the Itchen) to rise a lot very quickly.

I think I will take your other price of advice and take the lady out in the future if the weather is going to be the same!

Keeping the lady in, I would leave 18" to 24" between hook and first weight and hold back more...

There are others on here who are far more experienced on your stretch of water than I am and dare I say it fanatical Lady chasers...hehehe with very considerable experience of their quarry. No doubt one or more of them will give you some very good and most expert advice on lady chasing.

Keeping the lady in, I would leave 18" to 24" between hook and first weight and hold back more...

There are others on here who are far more experienced on your stretch of water than I am and dare I say it fanatical Lady chasers...hehehe with very considerable experience of their quarry. No doubt one or more of them will give you some very good and most expert advice on lady chasing.

Thanks for the advice on holding back etc. I will give it a go on the weekend, not the lady chasing. I am sure the missus would have something to say about that.

My friend had a barbel on the H/Avon on Sunday on his roach gear :o - water temp was 45

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Just in case any on here are not sure.

the Lady = Grayling

I am not suggesting a bit on the side