Progress With Perch

Vagabond

My understanding is that Perch have keener eyesight in low-light conditions than just about any other fish around.

Therefore, they would have a large advantage when conditions were such that they could still see well and their prey no longer could nor could the larger preds that might like a tasty bit of perch.

It would make sense that the timing for this set of conditions would vary according to overall light intensity, clarity of water, and such.

I would tend to think the perch catching would be better in deep water during mid-day unless the water was really cloudy in which case they might also feed shallower when the sun was bright.

[ 10 March 2002, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deerdrink is about 6' deep close to the dam, which deepens to about 8' a rod-length out (10'rod)

BTW I don't necessarily fish close to the bottom, I move my bait about quite a bit, usually close to the dam, and have actually seen perch approach and take the bait (or sometimes just look at it, but perhaps take it later) several times. Visibility into the water is about three to four feet, so takes at this depth are midwater.

"Watching it happen" certainly sends the adrenaline levels up!

Not being entirely happy with the usual recommended rigs (don't ask me to rationalise that - it is a gut-feeling and subjective confidence thing) I pass the single hook through the bottom lip, then LIGHTLY through the skin in front of the pectorals (taking great care not to go through the body wall) This results in the bait remaining lively, and it can be released unharmed (with a dose of clinik on the small wound) if no takers appear. They always swim away strongly.

So far (touch wood) I have had no deep-hooked perch - all have been hooked in the front of the mouth, or they have dropped the bait and departed. In addition th the eight fish I have had about six abortive runs (THREE of them yesterday - NNYYAAAH)

I know freelining is considered dubious, but, PROVIDED YOU WATCH CAREFULLY WHAT IS GOING ON, there is no danger of deep hooking.

I use thin floating braid right through to the hook and watch the line - the thin half-matchstick "float" is so when the bait dives deep, I can still see the matchstick a foot or so under the water - so I know where the bait is at all times. If and when I think the perch are wising up to the line I would put on a threefoot mono leader.

These methods are appropriate to Deerdrink - if I fished elsewhere I would expect to evolve different methods.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sight fishing for big perch certainly sounds exciting and something I have no experience of barr the odd times on my local river when catching bait and perch attack the small fish as I reel them in. However these tend to be smaller fish of a pound or so. To see much larger fish approaching and taking a bait must be a great and interesting experience.

Several waters that I pike fish are very clear and the fish come in very close. I have learnt a lot from these observations and have put extra fish on the bank accordingly, including some big 20's.

Alan.

Alan - I like that phrase "sight fishing"

I don't know why more people don't concentrate on the margin under the rod top - it works for carp, tench. crucian, perch and pike - and also for chub in a river. You have to keep quiet and still of course, but as you say, you learn so much in such a short time.

RNLI Governor

Vagabond, one thing to bear in mind is that during the next few weeks the perch will begin to search out suitable spawning sights. These unlike a lot of other species need be shallow water but obstructions like branches, reeds old woodwork or firm water weeds. I have observed perch spawning and the resulting spawn hatching into tiny perch. This however was in a live bait tank and a fish tank wher I was able to photograph the hatching, but unfortunatly unable to raise the resulting fry.

Alan.

Do perch build a bed/nest to spawn?

If so, do they guard the nest?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No, they spawn on weeds and branches etc. None of the coarse species that we fish for in the UK builds a nest. In my neck of the woods in SE England perch typically spawn about the 3rd week of April depending on water temperature.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

As from March 14th I'll be giving the perch a rest (old close season applies at Deerdrink) and flashin' me flies at the trout :D

RNLI Governor

Hello there,

I've been perching a bit round Glasgow (mainly for suitable deadbaits) and have seen them in full spawn already.I do realise this seems a bit premature.These are not just heavily laden fish waiting for the right moment to spawn.These fish are visibly goin through all the motions and some fish caught were absolutely spewing milt and eggs.

I have all the deadbait I need so I will be putting the Perching rod away till all the commotion is over.I think it's time to get the Trouting gear out and see what happens.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...