Work in Australia

chevin

This might be of interest to those who are interested in moving to Oz.

SKILLED migrants who line up a job will be given priority to come to Australia, while those who don't will find it harder to gain a visa, under a revamp of the nation's immigration program to be unveiled today.

The current occupations-in-demand list will be scrapped immediately and replaced with a new list of highly skilled professions and trades to be introduced mid-year.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans will also announce that the "points test" used to assess migrants on their qualifications, English language skills and experience will be overhauled.

The new test could better reward qualifications from ivy-league universities, English skills and certain occupations.

* Govt planning to tighten immigration

* 20,000 visa applications to be cancelled The Australian, 7 hours ago

* Migration overhaul 'damages reputation' Adelaide Now, 8 hours ago

* English speakers jump queue Courier Mail, 15 hours ago

* Door slammed on low-skill migrants Adelaide Now, 15 hours ago

* Rule change to hit trade migrants Adelaide Now, 26 Jan 2010

The government will also consider a new system in which businesses and federal, state and territory governments could review applications and prioritise certain candidates.

In a speech to the Australian National University, Senator Evans will declare that aspects of the current scheme are "rusty".

The changes are likely to hurt overseas students in Australia who are training in areas scrapped from the skilled occupation list.

Those students will have until the end of 2012 to apply for a temporary skilled graduate visa, with the hope of acquiring work experience and sponsorship from an employer.

In addition, the government will deny skilled migration visas to about 20,000 people who applied from overseas before September 2007, when less stringent rules applied.

Under the changes, state and territory governments will develop their own migration plans and the Immigration Minister will gain new powers to limit the number of visas for any one occupation.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I expect you have your tin hat ready !

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/you-ca...called-a-racist

I must say, that during my last visit, it did seem that Australia was becoming more crowded. Not quite like Southend on a Bank Holiday, but there was more traffic on the roads, more people on the beaches, more people in the shops (I even had to queue at an outback village post office!).

I believe the Aussie Labour government sees increased population as a road to prosperity (at least for politicians because of increased tax revenue!)

What do you think is bringing about this change of perception ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I expect you have your tin hat ready !

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/you-ca...called-a-racist

I must say, that during my last visit, it did seem that Australia was becoming more crowded. Not quite like Southend on a Bank Holiday, but there was more traffic on the roads, more people on the beaches, more people in the shops (I even had to queue at an outback village post office!).

I believe the Aussie Labour government sees increased population as a road to prosperity (at least for politicians because of increased tax revenue!)

What do you think is bringing about this change of perception ?

My area is certainly more crowded but that is largely due to people coming over from the eastern states. At one time the bush began at the end of the road, but now we have several suburbs north of us.

I think that both political parties are of the opinion that the population must increase dramatically. We have so much in the way of resources more people will be needed to recover and process them. There are only around 20,000,000 people in Oz which is about the same size as the US mainland. There are still resources to be discovered and just last week it was announced that a gold mine that is being developed less than 150 kms from Perth will be producing 1,000,000 ounces of gold per year. There is another huge one near Kalgoorlie that is already producing around 850,000 ounces per year.

Unfortunately Oz is like many other places (even like AN used to be) if you mention immigration you are immediately insulted. Those of us who see things differently to those who support unrestricted immigration are not allowed to voice our opinions even though in the long term we have to suffer the consequences that might result. Hopefully, Australia will now go back to concentrating on immigrants who are of immediate use to the country. We agree that 20,000,000 is not sufficient to explore our country's resources properly, but at the same time some need to realise that 20,000,000 are not enough to finance the unrestricted immigration system towards which we have been slipping.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.