Spawning

The Flying Tench

Caught a pb perch yesterday at 3lb 6oz from a lake on popped up lobworm. Very pleased of course, but on reflection think I was a bit lucky that they hadn't started spawning. To my eye didn't look that close either.

I'm wondering if, in general, the fish are spawning late this year because of the cold winter?

Spawning late? They won't spawn this early.

Normally they'll spawn late May/early June from experience. When there's a sustained spell of warm weather.

Spawning late? They won't spawn this early.

Normally they'll spawn late May/early June from experience. When there's a sustained spell of warm weather.

Depends on which species and the individual water. Warmth (as long as the water temperature is above each species threshold normally around 15-17deg for cyprinids) is not the biggest factor.Once the water temp threshold has been reached indigenous fish are triggered by available day light. Carp (being non indigenous) are different they need a period of consecutive days where the water temperature is 20 deg or over.Really the only coarse fish that dont often spawn during the old closed season and on some waters and in some years not at all. Why cyprinids always spawn regardless of yearly weather/temperature variations but carp (as said) often dont.

Predators are always first to spawn the Pike being the apex UK predators normally spawns any time from Feb to March. Most Pike will have spawned by now (well down South anyway) and I would be supprised if the Perch aren't done by end of April on most waters.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Nice fish.

Perch can spawn anywhere between late March and early May but 'normally' early April is an average. Had some at the weekend just gone and some had spawned already with signs of heavily flushed vents and empty bellies whilst otherwise were still as fat as barrels.

Here's a couple the kids and I had: ( Hope you don't mind the hat Anderoo ;):P )

jplbigperch.jpg

camperch.jpg

palperch.jpg

Where on earth did you catch fish like that? They are massive! What bait were you using?????

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Depends on which species and the individual water. Warmth (as long as the water temperature is above each species threshold normally around 15-17deg for cyprinids) is not the biggest factor.Once the water temp threshold has been reached indigenous fish are triggered by available day light. Carp (being non indigenous) are different they need a period of consecutive days where the water temperature is 20 deg or over.Really the only coarse fish that dont often spawn during the old closed season and on some waters and in some years not at all. Why cyprinids always spawn regardless of yearly weather/temperature variations but carp (as said) often dont.

Predators are always first to spawn the Pike being the apex UK predators normally spawns any time from Feb to March. Most Pike will have spawned by now (well down South anyway) and I would be supprised if the Perch aren't done by end of April on most waters.

I often wondered why in years gone by there used to be a closed season for pike until october.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Cracking perch! Many congratulations indeed!

Here in East Kent the "normal" perch spawning time is the 2nd half of April depending on water temperature. However it very much depends on the venue. On my own deep pits at Wingham we're close to the sea that's cold at this time of year, and typically the perch spawn early May. Indeed, last year they'd only just spawned after the Angler's Net Fish-In on the last but one weekend in May.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net