'Block' Licences

davidP

I was looking at some of the sites listed in the Accomodation section on http://www.go-fishing.co.uk and I came across a site in Devon that claimed "No National Rod Licence required" to fish their waters. I mailed them asking why they thought their waters were exempt from the licence and their response surprised me. They state that

quote:

this is because in this region of the Environment Agency, commercial fisheries like ours are offered a 'block license' which we pay annually the cost of which is included in the day ticket charges. It particularly suits are fishery as we are situated in a concentrated 'touristy' area where we get many beginners and 'once-a year' anglers. It saves them having to buy one and it saves the EA having to send their bailiffs around regularly. Everyone wins exept us who have to pay for it!

Has anybody else ever come across this before??

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Hi David

This sounds like a really good idea. I was taking to one of the baliffs for norfolk the other day - a really nice guy who does a major job with only 10 staff. Anyways, I asked him what the biggest problem was that they encounter and it was the holiday caravan park problem where 80% of the people are fishing without a licence. It apparently takes a massive amount of time and effort to go round these parks and resources due to the number of people who transit through the camps.

seems like a sensible solution to me....

Andy

David,

I was wondering what the response would be to your question. Nothing I guess :D

In the US some states have the "block" system available. Used mostly for venues where tourists will fish for maybe a couple hours for an outrageous fee.

Phone

The worst (most expensive) license in the US is Lousiana (at least it is the most I've seen) $150.00 for a non-resident.

I am not sure whether they still do these block licenses, but it is quite illuminating that 80% of the holidaying public are unaware that you need a license to fish.

We have a situation with cannabis at the moment whereby because policing the use has become almost impossible so it will be decriminalised.

If 80% of holidaymakers are fishing without licenses then perhaps it would be far more cost effective to let them get on with it for a week or so, they may actually get the bug and become anglers of the future.

This prompts the question "why do we have to have a license to fish?"

I will put my point of view that far more people would actually go fishing if they did not have to buy a license.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Sorry - someone mailed me the answer direct (Thank you Dennis) and I forgot to post it here :-

Section 25(7) of Salmon & Freshwater Fishery Act 1975 Allows the issue of general licences the price & conditions are agreed on a licence by licence basis and are available for all waters if you are a fishery owner/angling club.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.