HP Updates

Cranfield

I have a Hewlitt Packard Pavilion desktop PC and occasionally get "Security Update".

I get a notification and click to download, the usual download box appears and it starts downloading.

The strange thing is it starts downloading and todays box says " downloading 0/319488".

The download started at 10.45am and its still downloading (almost 6 hours later), but the download box still says "downloading 0/319488".

There is no progress line showing, the download is showing on my Task Manager and the PC is chuntering away.

Do any other HP users experience this ?

As the PC is out of warranty HP referred me to their users Forum, which isn't used much and nobody has responded to my question there.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

If it still shows 0/nnnn I think I'd reboot and see what happens.

If it shows progress, I'd still be tempted to reboot since three hundred thousand updates is unlikely.

If it asks about restarting/resuming the updates after the reboot, I'd suggest telling it no or wait or whatever option you have and burning any important files to DVD then killing the updates and trying to start them again from the beginning.

What OS are you running?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, I am running Windows XP and I rebooted the PC at midnight last night when it was still running (14 hours).

When the PC restarted no HP Update box appeared.

I then shut the PC down.

When I started it this morning no HP Update box appeared.

In All Programs I went to the HP drop down menu and clicked on Updates.

It searched for updates and found one "Security Update" "Size 319.5 KB Time 0.6sec".

When I selected this I got the same box as before showing, "downloading 0/319488".

I let the PC chunter away for 30 mins and then cancelled the download.

Open a cmd window and key in chkdsk /f and press ENTER. (note the space between chkdsk and /f)

When you get the message the task cannot be done just now, respond Yes to doing it at next reboot then reboot.

It will run the check disk, making minor repairs and doing a general cleanup, and then reboot again. The process can take from 5 to 30+ minutes.

I suspect the issue will not show up after that and that the PC will perform some better than before. That particular command is my first action when a PC running any OS from 2K to W7 starts doing strange things.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I did the "chkdsk /f" and all seemed OK.

This morning I get the notification box from HP that I have updates available, the detail was a Security Update and a Program Update.

I pressed the "proceed" button and the box now shows that I am unloading Security Update 0/319488.

Once again, although its been "downloading" for 30 minutes there is no movement on the progress bar. :rolleyes:

It is infuriating that HP will not respond to my questions, just because the Hardware is out of its warranty period.

I don't consider this is necessarily a Hardware problem.

Needless to say i will not be buying anything form HP in the future.

EDIT NOTE: I cancelled the Security Update and selected the Program Update only.

This started downloading and the box showed "downloading 0/2545408".

Now that is an awful lot of updates I appear to have missed. :blink:

Curiouser and curiouser. :wallbash:

Edited by Cranfield

I have found out what the problem is, its my AVG Firewall.

Despite Windows and HP Systems being on automatic update and noted on the Firewall settings, it is blocking them.

I activated my Microsoft Firewall, turned off AVG Firewall and updated Windows XP and HP Systems in about 40 minutes.

This is not the first time that AVG Internet Security has interfered with my PC.

AVG has really had it's day! It is not the AV it used to be but it has always had some problems with certain systems anyway (As do ALL firewalls) But I have recently had several people to whom I recommended AVG to install having been infected with some REAL nasty viri! I ditched in favour of Nod 32 a while ago (That from A/Net) and have had not a single problem with the insertion of anything I did not want or asked to download!

On the other hand my Wife also inherited an OOD HP PC and it is a nightmare getting any sort of help from HP!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))