New to Everything!

iandavies

Hi Folks.

So, 34 years old from York, retired from rugby and now desperate for someting to do to fill Saturdays to keep me from being dragged shopping and to national trust sites!!

Tried surfing - Not a good look in a wetsuit and Bridlington aint Hawaii

Tried Squash - Not relaxing

Tried Badmington - Weak.

Tried Walking - Rain.

Tried all sorts and had fun.

So fishing it is and excited i am and here are my questions guys if you can help.

I am staying at the camping and caravan club site near Haltwhistle on the South Tyne with my Old Man and we fancy a go at fishing to see if we fancy a long and lazy 25 years on the riverbanks of Britain and Irelend.

Asked a mate about Fly fishing and there were many words i didnt understand and as for technique!(hatching fly's and spey casting!!) So fly fishing i believe you cant just "have a go at" without tuition and thats a shame but fine. Can save that for a later day

so. (i have read up a bit and i know i can get a permit in the village from the sports shop)

1.) Can you fish around Haltwhistle at this time of year (23rd April)

2.) Can i float fish or use a spinner on the river as a beginner? (hope i use the right terms)

3.) Am i wasting my time and i should just get lessons.

4.) Should i just go to Sainsburys and buy a Salmon and crank it on the BBQ?

I think the fun part of all the sports and things i have tried is teh enjoying it and having a go. Is that possible with fishing and little or no knoweldge?

So many questions to you good people for which i apologise but you dont ask, you dont get and all that.

The concept looks and sounds like a great way to spend a weekend as my years advance and my body aches so all help appreciated.

Thankyou

Ian

Welcome to Anglers' Net Ian.

I'll move this topic around a little to give it more visibility.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

1.) Can you fish around Haltwhistle at this time of year (23rd April)

Yes. The trout season’s open, as are the sea trout and salmon seasons, although you’re not allowed to take any fish at this stage in the season. (I know that’s definitely the case with salmon, at least.) Apart from the odd dace, I’m not sure there are any coarse fish in the South Tyne though.

2.) Can i float fish or use a spinner on the river as a beginner? (hope i use the right terms)

That all depends on who you’re buying the ticket from. Some clubs or land-owners may designate their water fly-only, or they may have restrictions at certain times of the year. The only one that I know is a regional byelaw up here is that you can’t bait fish for salmon until 17 June, so it’s fly and lure only before that date. I should imagine that it’s Haltwhistle AC who’ll be issuing your ticket and luckily, the club secretary is a member here, so I’m sure he’d be able to clarify exactly what the rules are on the day ticket stretch of the river.

3.) Am i wasting my time and i should just get lessons.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying you were wasting your time. I would suggest that perhaps you might be jumping in at the deep end though. For your first time out, it’s definitely worth booking a lesson with a local instructor, otherwise I suspect you’d find the whole experience so frustrating it would probably be your last time out. It’s also good to have someone experienced around the first time you have to unhook a fish too, as proper fish handling is an increasingly important part of fishing today, now we don’t just automatically whack everything we catch on the head and hoik it in the creel!

4.) Should i just go to Sainsburys and buy a Salmon and crank it on the BBQ?

If you’re after a salmon for the barbie, you’re going to have to stick to the supermarkets at this time of year!

I think the fun part of all the sports and things i have tried is teh enjoying it and having a go. Is that possible with fishing and little or no knoweldge?

You really don’t have to be very good to have fun. If you did, I wouldn’t enjoy myself half as much as I do!

Thanks for the Welcome Newt and what a great reply cheers Yorkio. I was talking myself out of it.

Sounds like - read up on the laws of the river.

Understand what fish you can keep, if any this time of year.

Make sure someone has shown me how to unhook and replace the fish carefully

Lure fishing it is

Relax and Enjoy.

If i dont catch anything then Sainsburys it is.

think teh facination started a few years ago.

I had a trip in New zealand on Lake Taupo brown trout fishing a few years ago on a boat. The skipper did all the work but he was loving it!

Cheers

Ian

PS Is it illegal to tie a few beers to a wader and leave cooling in the water?

Don't forget you will need a national rod licence as well as the permit, go to the Environment Agency site for details.

As for information about fishing in the area, it might be worth contacting the local club.

Haltwhistle and District Angling

Association

Chris Wilson

Melkridge House, Melkridge

Haltwhistle, Northumberland

NE49 0LT

John.

PS. Welcome to the forum Ian.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John