Freezer boilies or shelf life

Tigger

Since I have used boilies very little (only ever had one pack and still have some left 2yrs later) I don't know what the difference is between the frozen variety and the shelf life variety....can anyone tell me ? Also once de frosted can the frozen variety be re frozen and if so up to how long after de frosting ?

Since I have used boilies very little (only ever had one pack and still have some left 2yrs later) I don't know what the difference is between the frozen variety and the shelf life variety....can anyone tell me ? Also once de frosted can the frozen variety be re frozen and if so up to how long after de frosting ?

In a nutshell, shelf life boilies have some form of preservative in them to stop them going mouldy. Some companies use salt, some sugar and some chemicals such as sorbates. However, one or two of the better bait companies (e.g. Shaun Harrison's Quest Baits) are now beginning to air dry their shelf life baits so that they are identical to the frozen variety.

You can re-freeze frozen boilies but, just like any food, they will deteriorate over time. You can, if you wish, air dry the frozen boilies instead. Spread them out on a wire mesh or hang them up in a mesh bag in the airing cupboard for a few days and, once dry, they won't go off. All you need to do is to re-hydrate your hookbaits in lake water or a dip or flavour overnight and they will be as good as new.

Hope this helps.

Steve C.

To add to the above, frozen baits tend to have a better leakage rate, but a lot of it is down to the quality of the bait itself.

There are some very good shelf life baits on the market.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE