Choosing the right hook size

stooby

Hi all,

I'm sure there is probably a very simple rule or answer to this, but thought I'd post anyway.... How do you know what hook size to use? Do you base it on the fish you are targeting, or the bait you are using? I presume the bait, as you can't fit a lob on a size 16! - but then, if using a size 16 are you immediately ruling out the larger fish of the water, or can you still catch slightly larger fish (3-5lb) on a small hook such as this?

So, if for example you were targeting a wide range of coarse fish - roach, rudd, perch, tench, could you use say something like a 16 to cover all bases, or would that be too small for the larger tench or perch?...

Cheers,

Stooby...

As you've figured out for yourself, it's a compromise. You size the hook to the bait, but if the bait won't take a big enough hook for the fish you are after, you need to look at a different bait. For instance, you could hook specimen tench on a single bloodworm, which would dictate a fine wire size 24 hook, which would dictate a fine hooklength, which means that you would probably lose the fish. So for that reason single bloodworm is not a good bait for big tench!

You can land good fish on fine tackle, given enough space and time. I've landed double figure carp on a size 22 hook to a 1lb bs hooklength, but that was in a large water with no snags. On a weedy lake where you have to bully fish away from snags, 6lb line and an #8 or #10 might be needed, in which case you need to choose a bait that you can present properly on such heavy gear.

The quick answer is, match the hook size to the bait you want to use, so a 20 for a single maggot or a 6 for a whole lob.

If you want to fish for big fish with a small hook, use a hook in strong pattern. Some are light and will straighten with a big fish, others are strong and will hold just fine.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The quick answer is, match the hook size to the bait you want to use, so a 20 for a single maggot or a 6 for a whole lob.

That's about the size of it Stooby. When you start using different baits, you might find you need the same size of hook but with a different shape. Say you use a size 8 for lobs, when trout fishing for instance, you might want one with a long shank, made with a fine wire and a fairly wide gape.

You might then wish to switch to corn and a suitable pattern, for coping with larger, harder fighting species, like carp, in which case, it might still be an 8 you're looking for but you want one that has a short shank, a very wide gape, is stronger and probably made from high spec metals and alloys.

These are just suggestions but you'll pick it up. You'll be using a bait one day and you aren't connecting with the species of your choice and you'll have an idea of a hook pattern that would increase your hookup ratio and the chances are, you'll find a hook size and pattern that suits your bait and species more efficiently. There's almost always a perfect hook for any bait you can think of.

When I go carp fishing, I might have size 14 - size 4 hooks, each in 5 or 6 different patterns. The hook pattern I use for a bunch of maggots will differ hugely from the pattern I use for a prawn. I might change my hook-length and hook size/pattern half a dozen times or more in a single session.

When you take a selection of baits out with you, try to pick the correct sizes and patterns to match each of your baits and you'll get on a whole lot better and don't be afraid to ask the tackle shop assistants to put you in the right direction.

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hi all,

I'm sure there is probably a very simple rule or answer to this, but thought I'd post anyway.... How do you know what hook size to use? Do you base it on the fish you are targeting, or the bait you are using? I presume the bait, as you can't fit a lob on a size 16! - but then, if using a size 16 are you immediately ruling out the larger fish of the water, or can you still catch slightly larger fish (3-5lb) on a small hook such as this?

So, if for example you were targeting a wide range of coarse fish - roach, rudd, perch, tench, could you use say something like a 16 to cover all bases, or would that be too small for the larger tench or perch?...

Cheers,

Stooby...

If you want a hook for most types of coarse fishing, 14 is about right. I would use that for perch, roach and bream, maybe scale up a little bit for tench and carp. Here is a rough guide:

20+ - Squats, pinkies, bloodworm

18 - single maggot or caster

16 - two or three maggots, or two casters, redworm

14 - small lobworm tail, single sweetcorn, several maggots

12 - half a lobworm, 2 pieces of sweetcorn

10 - breadflake, small whole lobworm

8 - breadflake, lobworm

any larger hooks would be for carp and the baits would be things like large lobworms, big pieces of breadflake/crust, slugs for chub fishing or something like a livebait for perch etc etc

hope this helps, but it really is a rough guide, you may want to scale down a hook size for delicate bites or go up a hook size if you think larger fish have moved into your swim, its up to you.....

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."