New to pole fishing

spangles

Just a couple of questions chaps, what is a pole sock for? What does dotting down mean? And i have bought a V roller to ship back my pole, but, am i expected to hold my pole at all times when fishing with it or is there something i can use as a rest. I dont have a seatbox as such(its a stanley tool box on wheels lol)so i cant add to it. Thanks in advance. Dave

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pole sock is used to hold the front of the pole/sections that have been shipped back on a roller for unshipping.Its design stops the unshipped sections rolloing back into the water!

Dotting down refers to shotting a float so tat only a "dot" of the tip is left showing.

For rest ing the pole I prefer to use a "crook" this is an upside down "U" shaped rest which you use as a rear rest and a "V" shaped front rest or spray bar. Not sure what Im on about then say and I will put up some pictures.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

am i expected to hold my pole at all times when fishing with it or is there something i can use as a rest. I dont have a seatbox as such(its a stanley tool box on wheels lol)so i cant add to it. Thanks in advance. Dave

Ive not done much pole fishing in the last few years, so I'm not up to speed with what accessories are about now. In my day it was not impossible to use a pole with out a proper seat box, but it would have been hard work, especially for a beginner. A box wouldn't have needed to be the most expensive, but one with long legs that you could put pole hooks on would help a lot when you need a rest or to do something.

I think things may have change a bit with spray bars and other accessories that have come along, but i think it still helps if you have box a fasten them to.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

A pole sock is used to hold the front of the pole/sections that have been shipped back on a roller for unshipping.Its design stops the unshipped sections rolloing back into the water!

Dotting down refers to shotting a float so tat only a "dot" of the tip is left showing.

For rest ing the pole I prefer to use a "crook" this is an upside down "U" shaped rest which you use as a rear rest and a "V" shaped front rest or spray bar. Not sure what Im on about then say and I will put up some pictures.

Thankyou for clarifying my questions lads, yes, i understand what you are talking about, i suppose its like anything new, the more i use it the more i will understand it and learn it, just one more thing for now, i bought a copy of pole fishing magazine and with it came a free maclin double bush which means you can fish 2 strenghths of elastic at the same time, now as a novice to the pole this sounds like a brilliant idea(simple yet effective)to me, do you think the same or is it just a bit gimmiky? Thanks again. Dave

I presume you meran that you can be rigged up with two different elastics rather than "uae" them at the same time? (I ask as what Im talking about is fairly common but quite new and there is a system where you actually fish with a two strength elastic)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I presume you meran that you can be rigged up with two different elastics rather than "uae" them at the same time? (I ask as what Im talking about is fairly common but quite new and there is a system where you actually fish with a two strength elastic)

Basically you have 2 strength elastics running through your top kit. You attach your rig to the weaker of the 2 elastics and then attach a piece of line with 2 loops, one on each end, from elastic connector to elastic connector say 18in long. When you get a bite the weaker elastic works to cusion the strike but if the fish pulls out 18in of the weaker elastic the stronger elastic will begin to work in conjunction with the weaker elastic.

Dave

Born to fish................. Forced to work!

Dave

Middlebrough Angling Club

Visit My Website

Follow Me On Twitter

Born to fish..................... Forced to work!

Basically you have 2 strength elastics running through your top kit. You attach your rig to the weaker of the 2 elastics and then attach a piece of line with 2 loops, one on each end, from elastic connector to elastic connector say 18in long. When you get a bite the weaker elastic works to cusion the strike but if the fish pulls out 18in of the weaker elastic the stronger elastic will begin to work in conjunction with the weaker elastic.

Dave

Born to fish................. Forced to work!

I couldnt have put it better myself Dave, i have 3 top kits whith my pole and i am going to use the duel bush on one of them for the waters that are less than predictable. Thanks again for your imput lads. Dave

Never heard of that before - clever, although it occurs to me that you could achieve the same effect internally at the bung end with a loop in the thick elastic connected by a length of thin elastic.

Never heard of that before - clever, although it occurs to me that you could achieve the same effect internally at the bung end with a loop in the thick elastic connected by a length of thin elastic.

Ive always connected my bung with a 6" loop rather than just tying it on. this gives you 6" of doubled up elastic which will help cushion things a bit if the single length bottom's out. Worth noting that if you have the loop to big the knot that makes the loop may jam in the pole and stop the doubled up bit working.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Ive always connected my bung with a 6" loop rather than just tying it on. this gives you 6" of doubled up elastic which will help cushion things a bit if the single length bottom's out. Worth noting that if you have the loop to big the knot that makes the loop may jam in the pole and stop the doubled up bit working.

Indeed this is a good way of using standard elastics to ensure you have a bit of extra stretch if needed.

All of my top kits now run with hydro and pulla bungs which I find more suitable for commercials and unpredictable fisheries where you never know what the next fish will be. I only have 2 top kits with standard elastics which I use for a specific venue where the fish are incredibly shy and finiky and require light lines and small hooks even during the summer months.

Dave

Middlebrough Angling Club

Visit My Website

Follow Me On Twitter

Born to fish..................... Forced to work!