Vinyl LP records

Colin Brett

My 7 year old neighbour was over the over day and saw my album collection and as he had never seen an LP before, I set up my turntable via my computer. This works fine but the volume is very muted? I've tried with SB audigy card and the on board AC97 but no difference. Yes the plugs are in the correct sockets.

Does anyone have any experience with the USB turntables available as I'd quite like to record and convert my TT sound Stories to MP3. Also the TT sound stories need to be heard properly [really loud :D :D :D ]

Any pitfalls I should know about?? Apart from I'm about to upset the neighbours again :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Edited by Colin Brett

My 7 year old neighbour was over the over day and saw my album collection and as he had never seen an LP before, I set up my turntable via my computer. This works fine but the volume is very muted? I've tried with SB audigy card and the on board AC97 but no difference. Yes the plugs are in the correct sockets.

Does anyone have any experience with the USB turntables available as I'd quite like to record and convert my TT sound Stories to MP3. Also the TT sound stories need to be heard properly [really loud :D :D :D ]

Any pitfalls I should know about?? Apart from I'm about to upset the neighbours again :rolleyes:

You'll need a phono preamp if you want to plug your turntable into your soundcard. Assuming you're not too much of an audiophile, the Maplin cheapie will probably do a good enough job and will probably contain the same generic circuitry as most things sold as USB turntables.

Edited by yorkio

You'll need a phono preamp if you want to plug your turntable into your soundcard. Assuming you're not too much of an audiophile, the Maplin cheapie will probably do a good enough job and will probably contain the same generic circuitry as most things sold as USB turntables.

Yup. Modern amps are only designed for the higher level flat signals produced by most modern sources. Vinyl cartridges produce a very low level output. You need to amplify the signal and correct the RIAA equalization that vinyl is recorded with. Both jobs are done with a preamp.

Be careful about the cheapo ones, I tried that (not the Maplin one) and it sounded awful. I took it apart and couldn't believe what a crappy little circuit they'd used!

If your turntable isn't that good anyway then the Ion Profile Pro USB one gets decent reviews (Maplin £70). It also comes with software to help do the transfer to MP3 or CD.

Edited by ColinW

Can you them boys go??

Got the phono preamp as advised and have it all working!!

Plenty of volume now!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My wife has just searched out the ear defenders. :yeah: :yeah:

I just need a dab of Castrol "R" now to complete the transition back to the 50s and 60s :clap2: :clap2: :sun: :sun: :sun:

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Colin Brett