Which braid? If any

Hi all.

I have been fishing for a long time using a tip rod and have had great success on almost every outing. However i have been reading that a braid hooklength can increase your sensitivity a lot and help put more fish in the net. I was wondering if you would recommend using braid for hooklengths (or even mainline) or to stick with what i have been using which is the silstar match mono. The weight i use is an 8lb main line and 6lb hooklength as i am very aware that i can pick up large carp in some places i fish and don't want to risk a very light hooklength in case of a snap off. My tip rod (greys prodigy barbel 1.5 test) is very good at absorbing the shocks from the fish but i dont want to risk losing that fish of a lifetime by using too light a setup.

Would you recommend using braid and if so what brand/weight or are there any other tips that can be offered when it comes to sensitivity and pickups (apart from the obvious ). I am aware a lighter tip can help with indication but i tend to cast long range and dont want to damage a very light (and probably expensive) tip by hurling weights and feeders with it. Also wind can be an issue even with the tip close to the water.

Although i have been using a tip rod for long time now i wouldnt consider myself an expert of any kind so any other useful tips are appreciated. For example i get a lot of small bites and dont know whether to strike or not. Im talking taps and little pulls. I usually wait till i know the fish is pulling hard on the bait or is hooked already as i use the maggot clip on a hair rig. I find it hard to know when to hit it and when to let hte bite develop. Last outing i had 25 bream, 8 tench, 6 carp and a sturgeon so i cant be going far wrong (altough it was on a commercial) but i like to hear other people takes on using tip rods as it improves my own skill set.

I appreciate your input.

Tight Lines :thumbs:

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Braid is very good for quiver tipping only problem is that its lack of stretch doesn't cushion really light hook lengths very well. I use a "leader" of mono attached to the end of my braid to allow for this (a stretchy brand like Drennan Float Fish is good) Kind of a compromise because you are trying to balance the outfit so the lack of stretch gives good bite indication but you need a bit of stretch to protect the light hook length! get it right though and it beats any other set up hands down.Ive never found a purpose "feeder braid" that Ive liked! they are normally a bit delicate and dont last long. Standard Spiderwire or Power Pro in 20 or 15lb are the best bet (remember these will have similar diameters to the monos you are most likely using for this sort of fishing at the moment ie 20lb Spiderwire is equivalent to 6lb mono) Don't be tempted to get even thinner/lighter BS braid else you will have problems. Also forget any worries about braid damaging your rings providing they are modern lined ones and not old chromed ones!

Also dont worry if the braid is a floating one rather than sinking it wont make any difference.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Braid is very good for quiver tipping only problem is that its lack of stretch doesn't cushion really light hook lengths very well. I use a "leader" of mono attached to the end of my braid to allow for this (a stretchy brand like Drennan Float Fish is good) Kind of a compromise because you are trying to balance the outfit so the lack of stretch gives good bite indication but you need a bit of stretch to protect the light hook length! get it right though and it beats any other set up hands down.Ive never found a purpose "feeder braid" that Ive liked! they are normally a bit delicate and dont last long. Standard Spiderwire or Power Pro in 20 or 15lb are the best bet (remember these will have similar diameters to the monos you are most likely using for this sort of fishing at the moment ie 20lb Spiderwire is equivalent to 6lb mono) Don't be tempted to get even thinner/lighter BS braid else you will have problems. Also forget any worries about braid damaging your rings providing they are modern lined ones and not old chromed ones!

Also dont worry if the braid is a floating one rather than sinking it wont make any difference.

Thanks thats great advice. I think i will put the braid on as my mainline then and use a mono hooklength as you suggest. I thought it was odd that people were using braid as a hooklength and mono as main line as this would surely end up in losing a lot of terminal tackle in the event of a break. Thanks again.

To reiterate Budgy's comments, I also haven't used a 'feeder braid' that I liked at all! Stick with good low diameter lure braid as Budgy suggested. As for getting lost of plucks, if you are using a maggot clip and fishing for Bream, Carp etc then I would just wait for the rod tip to pull round before striking. N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Thanks thats great advice. I think i will put the braid on as my mainline then and use a mono hooklength as you suggest. I thought it was odd that people were using braid as a hooklength and mono as main line as this would surely end up in losing a lot of terminal tackle in the event of a break. Thanks again.

I think you will find that lots of people use mono main line with a braid hook length with no problems so long as the hook length is weaker than the main line. I know i do for my method feeder work on any water and some of my barbeling on the river.

Knowing from your other posts that you may fish on the Ribble at times i will just point out that braid main lines don't get on well with rocky waters.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think you will find that lots of people use mono main line with a braid hook length with no problems so long as the hook length is weaker than the main line. I know i do for my method feeder work on any water and some of my barbeling on the river.

Knowing from your other posts that you may fish on the Ribble at times i will just point out that braid main lines don't get on well with rocky waters.

Ok cool. I thought braid was a lot stronger than mono for its diameter and thought that maybe the mainline would have to be a heavier weight than you would like to use if you chose to use a braid hooklength. Im no expert on braid as ive only ever used it for a hair rig for carping so all thoughts are taken on board.

Also well spotted on the ribble thing. It can be very rocky in places. Im going to load up one spool with a good braid and one with a good mono. Thanks.

:thumbs:

Tried the suggested braid at the weekend. It was great. Thanks for the help. Landed a nice 9lb sturgeon, a 7lb barbel and countless carp. Was a great day. Sensitivity was much improved. Thanks