Bridle rig...

Dan G

Guys - ive just come back from portugal and went out on a big game boat. We were using live mackeral for bait, affixed to the hook using a 'bridle rig'. Essentially, it was a dacron loop which is twisted onto the hook, pierced through the livebaits nostrils and the other end twisted onto the hook... you end up with a hair rigged livebait, with the hook completly exposed. I'm told they use it as it improves the hook hold, allowing the circle hook we were using to pivot easier and prolonging the life of the livebait.

What stuck me was how it could work for pike and Zander deadbait fishing, especially with the growing trend for single hooks. It might allow an almost 'hair rig' presentation.

Has anyone thought of doing this, or indeed done so?

Cheers, Dan

Essentially, it was a dacron loop which is twisted onto the hook, pierced through the livebaits nostrils and the other end twisted onto the hook... you end up with

Has anyone thought of doing this, or indeed done so?

Cheers, Dan

Not for livebaiting (or even predator fishing) but I've used something similar for general hair rigging of particle baits for years.

I make the hair roughly twice as long as I need with a simple loop at the free end, mount the bait on the hair and then twizzle the hair (the loop end) between your fingers before slipping the loop over the point of the hook.

You don't need stops of any description, just a baiting needle.

Been around on the big game scene for many many years.

Ive used it for Catfish in situations where only small (small in relative terms) baits were available but I still wanted to use big hooks.Exactly the same reason ie so not to penetrate the bait with such a big hook so keeping it alive longer.Ive hooked through the "nostrils" and through the tail root.

Never had the same kind of problem with lives for other species and never felt the need to try for such.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!